Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

10 Brilliant Winter Flowering Plants

The possibilities are endless when it comes to bringing color into the yard to keep it blooming throughout the Spring and Summer. The real trick is extending the color season into the winter. Here are some awesome winter blooming shrubs that will bring your yard into the spring swinging. The beauty of bringing colorful shrubs into the yard is that you plant them once and enjoy them year after year.

Here are 10 brilliant winter blooming plants that look great in any landscape.

Winterberry, Ilex verticillata

This is one of few deciduous hollies. Beautiful red berries are formed in the winter as long as there is a male plant present. 1 male plant is said to be good for 5 to 10 female plants. This plant tolerates poorly drained, wet areas well and is adaptable to many different soil types. Pruning is to be done in the early spring, before new growth is to appear. These brilliant red berries will bring much needed life to your winter landscape.

Flowering Quince, Chaenomeles

This plant is often seen blooming earlier than most other plants, around the same time as the Forsythias. Blooms of the Quince resemble that of the Camellia. Most varieties of Quince have long thorns, although there are some thornless varieties. This plant can also send up root suckers that would need to be pruned and this plant is susceptible to diseases and insects.

Witch Hazel, Hamamelis virginiana

This plant tolerates clay and damp conditions, as it usually grows near stream banks.  It can be used as a tall hedge or in a natural area. Witch Hazel’s yellow blooms show up in October through December and are very fragrant. This plant produces a “fruit” consisting of a greenish seed capsule at the same time as it is flowering. These seed capsules turn brown and release the seed the following year. Not only does this plant reseed but it also gets root suckers that will need removing.

Camellia japonica

Camellia japonica blooms in late winter and early spring, unlike the sasanqua Camellia, which blooms in fall. This plant is acid loving and should be treated like an Azalea, including using the same Azalea, Camellia, and Rhododendron Fertilizer. Camellia japonica puts on quite a show, getting covered in blooms 3 inches round and bigger.Take a look at our 11 Shade Loving Shrubs.

Lenten rose, Hellaborus

This clumping perennial has a truly unique look. This clumping perennial does well in the shade and goes well with Hosta. These “nodding” flowers often point towards the ground and come in white, pinks and light purple to almost black. The plants yellow stamens help it stand out as well as the fact that it is one of few plants to still be blooming in the snow of the winter.

Himalayan Sweet Box, Sarcococca hookeriana

This plant is known for its very fragrant flowers that bloom in late winter and into the spring. Shiny black fruit (drupes) follow its flowers in spring. This unique evergreen shrub grows well in the shade and gets much wider than it does tall. This plant makes a great groundcover and looks great as a mass planting. This plant is truly unique, as it need little attention once it is planted.

The beautiful, dark green foliage is as impressive as the strong fragrance that this plant puts off.

Winter Daphne, Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata'

This plant is beautiful but it is very particular with what it wants. Use rich organic matter when amending the soil and add sand if you are in a clay area. If the soil is acidic then put down some Garden Lime as well. Keep this plant out of the full sun, as this can lead to leaf scorch in warmer climates. This plant not only has beautiful variegated evergreen foliage and incredible fragrant flowers, it blooms in the winter, making this plant unique.

Winter Jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum

Winter jasmine prefers full sun but can do full shade but produce less blooms. It is also adaptable to most soil types. Plant it against a trellis and it will grow to 10 or 12 feet tall, otherwise it will grow on the ground like a ground cover, rooting in as it grows. Winter jasmine gets loaded with beautiful yellow flowers in the late winter.

Camellia sasanqua

This brilliant evergreen shrub is one of few shrubs that will bloom in fall and winter, putting on quite a show with hundreds of flowers per plant. They come in a wide variety of colors, bloom shapes and plant sizes from 4 feet tall to 15 feet.

Pussy willow,Salix discolor

This plant was part of my childhood. I remember it and the smells of the mint planted around it when I would go to Grandma Thelma’s house and drink from the outdoor water spigot right beside it while playing hide and go seek. Like all willows, it loves water. The “flowers”or catkins, look just like a lucky rabbits foot and is certainly my sign of the arrival of Spring. This tree is dioecious, coming in male or female plants. Males are much showier than the females.

Other related articles:

Plants That Grow Well in Shade

Need suggestions with your annual flower beds?

Easy Landscape Design Rules Used by the Experts

10 Water Loving Plants

Ingar's Top 10 Trees For a Landscape In The South

Flowers for shade

12 Ornamental Grasses for landscaping

17 Groundcovers for Sun and Shade

7 Best Climbing Outdoor Vines

Top 30 Perennials for Your Garden

Drought Tolerant Plants That Are Not Cactus

Deer Resistant Shrubs and Perennials

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-09-17T16:04:58+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL

Good post. much Informative.
Personally I like camellia japonica beautiful look like rose.
Posted 2015-09-18T10:27:14+0000  by Prunin

Greetings Ingar,

I love your 10 winter blooming plants for the landscape; I would like to add one of my favorite plants for winter color.

Red Twig Dogwood is a seasonal show stopper, although the plant has not one flower, and is entirely naked through the cold months of winter, the color of it smooth shiny bark is an intense, fire engine red!

It seems the colder and darker the winter is, the more beautiful the shrub shines ….it is like a beacon, stretching it branches up into the grey winter sky.

Red Twig Dogwood has small clusters of white flowers in the early spring, nothing to showy; the foliage is a bright green, with thin a leaf, very simple….the real beauty is in the winter!

Red Twigs can grow in damp, moist soil; they grow in wetlands or by a river bank. In the home landscape they prefer a well-watered site until they are established. Dappled sunlight is okay for these beauties.

The branches of the red twig add great height and intense red color to winter window boxes and planters.

Thank you Ingar, for all the great information and the beautiful selection of winter blooming plants; I do hope winter takes it time getting here!    Maureen

Posted 2015-09-22T18:38:33+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+