Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

12-Volt Lawnmower Battery Season

See the source image

Riding lawnmowers are stored this winter all across the region. The spring ritual of trying to start the mower for the first time is a common frustration when the battery needs replacement.

If your battery is 3 or 4 years old, chances are that it will fail to hold a charge. If you need the mower immediately, use jumper cables and boost it using your car battery.

I had a customer ask me on-line about a replacement for her Craftsman ZTL 7000 Zero Turn mower. Here is the answer that I wrote for her when she inquired about the Titan U1-1T battery that happens to be in stock at my local Home Depot store. Battery selection will vary in your location.

This was my response:

Yes, this battery will work in all lawn tractors. Gasoline and diesel powered tractors use a 12-Volt charging system that this battery is designed for. The dimensions of this battery will fit most lawn tractor applications, including your Craftsman ZTL 7000.

Some mowers have specific battery requirements. A larger engine will benefit from additional cranking amps. Your mower is specifying a 340 cranking amp battery.

I recommend the U1-3T battery group size to supply the 340 cranking amps. The U1-1T battery in question is the smaller group size that supplies 190 cranking amps. 190 will crank your mower, but 340 or more is best for your larger mower.

Another thing to consider is whether your battery cables are long, or if they are short. Short cables will not reach across the battery to the other side.

Short battery cables require the battery to have the positive terminal on the correct side of the battery. If the U1 battery has the positive terminal on the incorrect side, select the U1R group. Their polarity is reversed and the positive terminal is on the other side from the U1 battery.

The U1R battery is (+)(-), and the U1 battery is (-)(+).

Always take your old battery in to exchange for the new one. Compare the cranking amp numbers and look at how the terminals line up to get the correct replacement battery.

Until next time, I'll see you in the aisles!

-Travis

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-01-30T16:30:45+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL Travis_HD_ATL

It must be warm in Atlanta Travis because around here at -3°F nobody is thinking about mowing their lawns.

Posted 2019-01-31T12:26:21+0000  by Adam444
Hey Adam444.

Yes, and the mounds of snow here are also a deterrent to a beautifully manicured lawn...

Maybe the online questioner lives in Miami or Honolulu?

In Chicago this is a really good time to get out a battery charger and run a trickle charge overnight to keep that dormant battery alive though.  If done 2-3 times over the winter those batteries can last a couple of years longer than if left to die when it's too cold to mow.

Chris.

Posted 2019-02-01T17:31:10+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+