Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

2 outlets in bedroom are not working, replace with new ones, still do not work

I have 2 outlets in my daughters room that do not work. One is controlled my the switch on the wall. I purchased a new switch and 2 new outlets, but the still do not work. Any suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-29T13:59:27+0000  by takopacz takopacz

Did you check the fuse box to see if a kicker switch was on? Did you wire the switch and outlets like the old ones were?

This has happened to me in the past and when I installed the new ones I had one wire on wrong which kicked a fuse box switch off. After rewiring everything worked fine. Good luck.

Posted 2013-12-29T21:22:21+0000  by jimmybo

Is this a new problem or something that's been going on for a while?

Do you have any electrical test equipment or would you be willing to buy some?

Posted 2013-12-30T00:23:22+0000  by Adam444

on going problem, use a tester no power going to outlets, when i turn the breaker off all the power goes off in the problem bedroom, guest bedroom and kitchen nook. looked at most of the outlets and checked for loose wires I am stumped

Posted 2013-12-30T01:35:25+0000  by takopacz

When you tested the receptacles, what kind of tester did you use and how did you test the circuit?

Posted 2013-12-30T19:08:54+0000  by Adam444

I have been checking for you and others that have had your problem did all the correct checking and testing. They all say it is time to call an electrician to solve the problem. This can be a serious problem or a simple problem that is hard to find.

Posted 2013-12-31T04:50:27+0000  by jimmybo

Have you recently done any other work in your house re: electrical or structural/remodeling? I see you said an ongoing issue, but have the outlets ever worked?

I know when I did some work on my daughters room and our hallway a while back I had the same issue, I disconnected one hot wire I assumed was a wrapped up ground from wires going to a switch and it had killed only 2 outlets in my daughters room. Had tested the outlets and couldn't figure out what happened the next day when we realized it was dead. Then realized I did remove one wire for the hallways switch and that was the issue. Just wondering.

If the outlets never worked I would look at possible sources the outlets could be spliced in from. More than likely the outlet closest to your box is the one that controls the other outlet so you may not have to mess with both outlets to figure out your issue. Sometimes a wire splicing into the outlet comes loose from the source and it could be an easy fix. Also could have had a wire running power to it break from rodents in an attic or wall too. Just some things to consider from all angles that I have seen/heard. 

Posted 2014-02-06T02:14:55+0000  by FF_Dan
If the simple things listed don't help then I agree with possibly looking for an electrician as it could be a much more complicated issue.
Posted 2014-02-06T02:16:06+0000  by FF_Dan

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+