Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

4 Pink Flowering Ornamental Cherry Trees

The blooming of the cherry trees to many, symbolize the arrival of spring. I like to think of spring’s arrival as the blooming of the daffodils and cherry trees. The beauty that all of these trees provide does not require commentary from me, as their beauty does not require words. My experience as a landscaper of 20 years will steer me to tell you of the things to look out for, that you can’t see, sometimes making me sound critical of these trees. The fact is that if you do not have one of these cherries in your landscape, you will become envious of those landscapes with them. There are some amazing ornamental cherries out there, so let’s discuss 4 of my favorites.

The ‘Okame’ cherry is the first of the cherry trees to bring us into season. They welcomed spring in February here in Georgia and it did it in spectacular style. This trees beautiful purple bark and incredible delicate deep pink flowers stand out from other cherry trees because they bloom alone while most of the others have to share the limelight with each other. This vase shaped tree is more ideal for the landscape due to its smaller size that is less inclined to shade and kill the grass below it or block out the entire house.

Nothing is more remarkable than being in a rainstorm of beautiful pinkish (almost white) flower petals of a Yoshino cherry on a windy spring day. This tree typically blooms in March or April here in Georgia. Give this tree room to grow and it will absolutely not disappoint. Its wide canopy can overtake a landscape if not planted in the right place. The canopy of this tree can get over 40 feet wide, killing grass below, so planting in the middle of the yard is not advised. Roots commonly stick up from the ground below so be sure that it has its own place to thrive a little bit away from the yard.

This tree sometimes has a hard time getting off the ground, often getting dead wood in it but once it gets a few years on it, it tends to straighten up. In warmer climates, it is common for this tree and other cherries to drop their leaves in the second half of summer, sending it into an early dormancy.

The beautiful carnation-like bloom of the Kwanzan cherry tree is truly unique. Kwanzans flowers are a good bit bigger than other cherry trees and pinker than the almost white petals of the Yoshino. This tree can tolerate heat and humidity well but prefers supplemental water in the heat of the summer to prevent early summer dormancy. Kwanzans 30 foot canopy can become too much for a lawn after several years, so be sure that it has room to grow. Root suckers will sometimes come up from the roots below, which sometimes have a tendency to protrude out of the ground. You would simply prune off these suckers.

The Weeping Higan cherry is truly remarkable and unique. This beautiful tree is used as a specimen tree, often used by lakes or water features. This tree will block sunlight underneath it so expect to mulch under its canopy and give it room to grow. Like so many other weeping trees, weeping cherries are slow growers and require plenty of maintenance. It will bloom in the spring to have emerging leaves soon push the flowers off the tree. This tree looks great in Japanese gardens or other themed gardens.

Cherry trees are susceptible to a wide variety of insects and diseases that can shorten the life of the tree. Some of these pests include Canker, leaf spot, powdery mildew, tent caterpillars, Japanese beetles, bores and aphids. Keep close eye on your prized cherry trees and enjoy the show from your porch rather that the car rides by the neighbor’s house.

Other Related Articles:

How-to grow and care for fruit bearing cherry trees

Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry

Types of Maple Trees

Fastest Growing Trees

Types of Oak Trees

8 Water Loving Trees

Types of pine trees

25 plants and trees with great fall color

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-03-10T18:31:39+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL