Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Seasonal & Holiday

A Unique Holiday Tradition for Families

User-added image

Holiday Traditions Become the Centerpiece of Joy and Celebration

While growing up, my Dad took time every holiday to prepare and bake bread.

Not just any bread!

The recipe included brown wheat flour, molasses, wheat germ, a pinch of cinnamon, milk, egg, and yeast.

The dough was mixed and left covered in the mixing bowl to rise.

When it doubled in size, it was cut and placed in glass loaf dishes; then covered and allowed to rise again.

Early the next morning the loaves were baked and we woke to the wonderful smell of fresh-baked bread throughout the house.

If we were lucky, we'd reach the kitchen as the warm loaves were being cut.

Since, I've always been certain that the saying, "Like a warm knife through butter" referred to the best part of our tradition ... spreading butter onto warm pieces of freshly cut baked bread that were just out of the oven.

His recipe and the tradition remain among my Dad's joy-filled contributions to my deeply seated holiday memories ... the beckoning smell of fresh bread, the luscious taste of melting butter on warm bread, and my warm reflection of family-centered joy shared in the early hours of very special holiday mornings.

Now that I've shared our holiday tradition, I ask, what holiday traditions does your family observe?

PERSONAL NOTE:

I cannot recreate our tradition for you, but starting a tradition of your own couldn't be easier than with a Cuisinart 2 lb. Breadmaker.

Happy Holidays!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-11-26T21:41:35+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

nice!  Great tip..
Posted 2014-12-24T17:57:18+0000  by jtester

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+