Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Above Ground Pool Jet Leak

I have a above ground pool and it's leaking at the where the pvc from the pump to jet meets. Here is what I have done:

Added more silicone giving ample amount of dry time then turned pump back on. 1hr later slow drip

Put 3 coats of pvc glue around pvc connection along with teflon and glued again ample dry time again. 30 min started slow drip.

I dont know what's called but it's rubber in the center with metal fasteners on the outside to tighten down, to prevent leaks. Leaked about 1 hr later.

Replaced 1-1/2 thread that screwed into jet along with other pvc coming from pump. Siliconed the inside and outside of where the two met. Gave about 2hr on a 1hr dry all purpose silicone. worked for about 2 hrs and now getting a slow drip.

Before fastening the new pvc to jet we cleaned and inspected the jet fitting to look for cracks and their is none.

I'm lost on what to do next.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-30T13:09:52+0000  by madkora madkora

Hey madkora, welcome back.

Threaded PVC fittings can be maddening to keep leak free, especially when they are stressed with pressure.  I am not sure what kind of silicone you are using, but a silicone sealant like the kind used to waterproof/caulk windows and bathrooms would not work well for this application.  PVC glue seals a smooth connection by partially dissolving both parts being joined and “welding” them together.  This glue by itself will not seal the outside of a connection well.

The best way to seal a PVC threaded fitting is to wrap Teflon plumber's tape  around the male threads before screwing the pieces together.

Teflon Tape.jpg

Firmly but gently tighten this PVC fitting to the pump and then join the remaining solvent weld pieces using purple primer and then glue.

glue PVC.jpg

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-09-30T13:56:33+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

The only reason I didn't use pvc cement is cause its the only fitting for the pool jet if it has to be replaced at a later date I would be in a pinch to replace the jet nozzle along with the the rest of pvc. Come to think of it I do think I forgot to put teflon tape on before the silicone was applied.

Thanks for the help.

Posted 2011-09-30T14:52:55+0000  by madkora

Hey madkora.  Maybe I can clear up a couple more items.

Please do not use PVC glue on threaded fittings.  Only use the Teflon tape.  I’m not sure where you are trying to use silicone, (caulk or lubricant), but I don’t believe it will help you out at all.  If the threaded fitting leaks using Teflon tape, it will continue to leak after you apply silicone caulk to the outside.  As far as the rubber coupler with clamps goes, it is made for a non-pressurized drain installation.

Rubber Hub.jpg

For a pressurized connection that can be easily disassembled, use what’s called a union.  They look like this:

PVC Union.jpg

I hope this helps, Newf

Posted 2011-09-30T19:38:52+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

So how do I get the silicone off the male 1-1/2 fitting that goes into the jet line.

And since I put the silicone on the end of the male side its covered in the jet threads also. How do I get it off that?

Or I should I replace the pvc fitting and find a way to replace the jet line. Or should the teflon tape take care of this problem?

Thanks for help

Posted 2011-10-01T12:06:47+0000  by madkora

Hey madkora

Newf it’s not in today but let me try to help with your question.

My understanding is that you have applied silicone over the male threads in attempt to seal connection going to the jet pump.

I would take Newfs advice and use Teflon tape instead.

But first to get rid of silicone use a rag soaked in paint thinner or mineral spirits.

Make sure to use rubber gloves so your hands don’t get dehydrated and assure that threads are completely free of silicone.

Next apply one layer of the Teflon tape clockwise on to the threads and screw in to the unit.

That should take care of the problem.

Posted 2011-10-03T19:27:01+0000  by George_HD_CHI
For any kind of pool parts... you can visit Pool Parts
Posted 2011-10-18T17:20:03+0000  by henrystrange

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+