Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Aerating and reseeding my lawn

I will be putting my house on the market in a few months, and there are some things I have to do now. Last year I had some trouble with water getting into the house, and I took care that issue, but the remaining problem is that I had to remove some shrubs, and I had to use some chemicals to do it. Right now there is a huge bare spot on the front side of my house that goes out around 6 feet. I spoke to someone at the local home depot, and they said that I could dig down around 2 inches, add some new topsoil, fertilizer, and then seed. However I also my want to plant some more shrubs as well.
     There are also some real patchy spots in lawn, and the area near the road and curb has become bare, for a good 1-3 feet in certain  ares. I am considering renting a core aerator from the local Home Depot, and I also found some info about a broadcast spreader. I found some videos from The Home Depot on youtube, that look good, but I m not sure if I want to do my entire lawn, and I am looking for a quick fix, because I want to put the house on the market in  couple of month. I am also not sure if I want to use the core aerator on the area where I put the chemicals. I wish I could include some photos.
      It would be good if someone could post something that will tell me what I need to rent/buy. I realize that the fall might have been the best time to do this, but I donate have a choice, and right now we are getting a lot of rainy cool weather in CT.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-05-13T16:32:00+0000  by Skyreacher Skyreacher

Hello Skyreacher.  Welcome to the Community.

Last year you applied "some chemicals" to kill shrubs and now there is a 6 foot wide bare spot along the front of your house.  I would think that by now at least weeds would be sprouting in that area.  If not then what chemical did you use to kill the shrubs?  Any chemical labeled extended control can "sterilize" the soil for up to one whole year, preventing any plant from growing there.  There is no way to neutralize the soil without removing and replacing it.  If weeds are growing or you know what chemical was used and it was not a ground sterilizer then what your Home Depot associate said makes sense.  Let us know what brush killer you used and maybe we can help you further.

Lawn areas near the road/curb can suffer both from excessive heat and winter snow salt plowed off the road.  The best solution to fix that area would be to apply some gypsum, starter fertilizer and reseed the area with turf grass seed.  A blend of perennial bluegrass, rye and fescue will bring the best results.  Avoid any mix with annual grass seed.  You can also overseed the small patchy spots in the rest of your lawn, either by hand or with a spreader. If you plan on moving from your current home to a new house, then just buy a lawn spreader.  They last for many years and are not at all expensive.  Lightly water the newly seeded areas daily for about 2 weeks for best germination quality.

To get your new seed off to the good start, till the large bare areas to a depth of 4-5 inches first.  That tiller may also come in handy to break up the soil in the bare area in front of the house.  Rather than rent an aerator, I would rent a tiller.  Using an aerator to improve an existing lawn is a fine idea, but I think you have bigger fish to fry for now.

Chris.

Posted 2019-05-21T14:35:23+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+