Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Air Conditioner Filter doesn't fit properly for Carrier Model FX4DNB/FX4DNF

My previous AC unit was replaced three and a half years ago.  The original unit had a reusable filer (looked like copper or wire mesh).  When the unit was replaced, the installers gave me a box of Flanders 19.88 (19 7/8 x 21.5 x 1). I asked about the reusable filter and they said the disposable ones were better.  Unfortunately, it was very difficult for me to remove and replace the filters, so a kind neighbor changed them, but it was very difficult even for him to get remove the old filter and seat the new one.  Also, for some reason they did not replace the filter opening cover, and the existing cover is a bit rusty.  When I was almost out of the filters, I called and they advised me to just find the same size on the internet.  I bought the same size Glasfloss filters.  As my neighbor is no longer changing my filters, I tried to change it myself.  It was almost impossible for me to change.  It took about 45 minutes, all my strength and a cut on my hand.  When I've had my annual check-ups, I've asked the tech to show me how to replace the filter.  They always say it's easy, and then they struggle for several minute in order to get the filter to seat.  The new Glasfloss filters are even more difficult.  I don't want to pay for a service call to watch a technician struggle for 5 minutes and never address the problem.  I'm going to attach photos.  There is a sticker on the unit that tells me I can purchase the filters from SunKoolfilters.com, but I hate to spend the money if those filters will also have the same problem.  I really hope to be able to find a solution which will allow me to replace the filters myself.  The unit works perfectly except for the filter issue.  I'd appreciate it very much if you could help a solution to this dilemma.  Thank you very much.  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2021-01-03T21:15:46+0000  by danajowho danajowho

Additional photos:  
Posted 2021-01-04T02:54:55+0000  by danajowho
Hi danajowho,

The problem is simple they gave you the wrong size filters. Carrier calls for a filter that is 19 3/4 inches by 21 1/2 inches. The filters your contractor gave you are 19 7/8 by 21 1/2. If you order the correct size filter it will fit easily. You can order the filters online and have them sent to your  home.

Mike
Posted 2021-01-05T00:08:35+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+