Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Allure vinyl plank slippage

This looked like an easy job in a guest bathroom. But, Allure vinyl plank flooring slides around like crazy. There is no "grip" on the back of the planks to keep it in place over the existing clean, flat tile floor (an approved application). In fact it appears to be made with a slippery surface so it floats. Solution?

A gap is required around the perimeter, and no underlayment can be used. So, how do we keep this Allure plank floor from sliding when someone steps on it? Is it only workable if you lay down 1,000 pounds of the stuff so it has some mass?  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-09-08T15:21:05+0000  by JCar JCar

While I'm waiting for the Home Depot folks to chime in, I'm wondering what would happen if you took up some of the Allure and installed some non-skid tape on the tile floor (maybe around the perimeter).  That should give it a bit more "grip" without voiding the warranty.
Posted 2018-09-09T00:03:46+0000  by Adam444

Hey JCar,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Years ago, I spoke with the manufacturer of Allure flooring Halstead Int'l and they offered some suggestions for a situation like yours.

If you've started the first row of planks on the installation, you can opt for using double sided mounting tape. Halstead recommended 3M mounting tape. So if the first row keeps moving and not staying in place, this would be your best option there. 

We sell this tape in the paint dept. at your local Home Depot. Once you start the first row and continue installing the planks, the sheer weight and size of the planks allow for very little slippage. This is why there is no 'grip' on the backs of the planks, mainly because it isn't needed. 

Once it's installed correctly (on a clean, level, and secured subfloor) and you place a small amount of mounting tape on the first row, any foot traffic or weight will not affect the integrity of the floor, regardless of the size of the room. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2018-09-10T14:44:43+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+