Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Attaching something to a drywall patch

Hello.

We have a dog who is partially paralyzed and are worried about her falling down the stairs, so we got some baby gates.  While installing one of them, I managed to put a nice hole in the drywall, right where the gate attaches.the hole is about 1-2 inches wide and 2-3 inches tall. I've done mesh drywall patches before, but is that something I'd be able to put screws into to attach the gate? Unfortunately, there isn't enough room to attach it anywhere other than where I put the hole. I'm not much of a handyman, so I'd prefer not to have to replace a big chunk of drywall. If a mesh patch won't work, is there another fairly simple solution?

Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-03-13T01:26:18+0000  by BenL BenL

Good morning BenL,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

If you use a high-quality drywall repair patch with mesh tape, then should be able to place a screw (or anchor) into it after it has been completely cured and dried.

The highest quality drywall patch your local Home Depot carries is shown below and linked here.

Alex Plus 32 oz. High Performance Spackling Paste

If you use this alongside a putty knife and mesh tape, and let it dry completely, then you will have no worries regarding screwing in the patch provided the screw is anchored and drilled cleanly into the wall.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2019-03-13T14:31:30+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hi BenL

In my experience the best way to fix the problem is to cut out the damaged area and insert a new piece of drywall.

Cut the area square make it 4 x 4 inches to remove all of the damaged drywall, then cut a 4 inch square piece of new drywall. Butter the edges with drywall compound and insert the new piece into the opening and remove the excess compond that squeezes out.

Let it sit overnight and sand the area smooth, you will now have a new surface to work with that is as good as the original wall. Use Wing It wall anchors for the baby gate, they require a rather large hole but hold very well.

Wing It  Wall Anchors

Mike

Posted 2019-03-14T20:00:39+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+