Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Garden Club

Azalea plant seems to have disease of some sort, what to do to recover

The azalea plant I have seems to have some kind of disease or is drying out. What to do?

Also why did they not bloom in the spring? Is the plant really azalea?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-03-23T23:41:29+0000  by sheetal sheetal

Greetings once again sheetal,

It looks like your azalea is suffering from winter damage; cold, dry wind will rob all the moisture from the broad leaf evergreen leaves.

I think you need to replace that azalea, it is severely damaged and the amount of time and energy it would take to get it up and thriving again may take several seasons…if it comes back at all??

I would replace it with a fresh new plant, and if you would like to try to revive it move it a less sunny location (where it is not a focal point) and give it a bit of attention.  It looks tough but I can see there is a bit of life trying to grow through, cut it back 1/3 of the plants size and give a well-drained, acidic soil, more shade than sun space and give it time….time will tell!

Best of luck to you, I can see by your other question that your garden is wakening up and the winter was not that kind to your plants, it is nice that you are out monitoring your garden beds, the season is new and you have time to correct winters wrath. Stop by your local Home Depot and see all the fresh new shrubs arriving daily, we have something special to fill, replant and repair your garden!

Happy new beginnings,  Maureen

P.S. Ingar, my online garden colleague, and azalea guru has just posted a fantastic article on so many varieties of azaleas and their care…it is wonderful and informative, check it out! I am sure you find a variety that will suit your garden!

Posted 2016-03-24T14:44:32+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hey sheetal.

That is in fact an azalea. Based on the picture, the azalea beside it is doing just fine. This rules out disease for the most part. The best possibilities as to why this plant died would be that it did not get enough water or that it was planted too deep. When planting an azalea, the root-ball should be planted 1 or 2 inches above ground level, with the dirt mounded up to the top of the root-ball. Dirt should never be sitting on top of the root-ball, as this can suffocate the plant, depriving it of oxygen.

Other options are that it is getting too much sun. It is funny that one azalea can be on the east, west or north side of a tree, 2 foot away from the azalea that is on the south side of a tree, yet produce completely different results. Azaleas are shade loving plants that will burn up in full sun. Put 1 or 2 inches of mulch on top of the root-ball once planted, to keep it from drying out. If it is full sun there then you might consider planting an Encore azalea, as they can handle full sun.

As to why it did not bloom, a stressed plant will shut down bloom production to survive. The other possibility is that you pruned it at the wrong time. Pruning must be done immediately after it blooms, as it sets its flowers the previous year. Read this Pruning Azaleas article.

Posted 2016-03-24T14:51:50+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+