Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Basement flooring options

I am looking to remodel a finished basement that currently has berber carpet directly on the cement slab with no padding. I would like to replace this worn and dated carpet. Ideally I like some more cushioning and perhaps a wood flooring. I might also like a heated floor option because it does get a little chilly downstairs during the wet winter months. I don't want to go much thicker than an inch total for the flooring because my ceiling height is limited being in the basement. 

The entry from the garage, the bathroom and laundry room have a 3 inch square ceramic tile flooring. I would like to replace the tile with a heated floor in the bathroom and possible the entry from the garage that is connected to the bathroom. I laundry room could remain tile.

Any suggestions?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-12-03T21:19:00+0000  by dash dash

Hi dash,

Radiant hot water floor heating systems can be installed on top of a slab before the flooring goes down, plastic or wooden track is used to secure the tubing, however this tubing is most effective if berried in concrete which acts like a giant heat sink and obsorbes the heat. The problem you will have is this raises the level of the floor by 1 to 2 inches and will reduce your headroom in the basement.

In most parts of the country electric radiant floor heating is not cost effective for large rooms such as a basement, but would be an alternative for a small space such as the bathroom.

Another alternative is to add electrical or steam baseboard heating to the room which will not affect the height of the floor. If you have forced air heating, additional duct work could be installed to direct air to the basement.

Mike
Posted 2018-12-03T22:07:02+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+