Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Bath water pressure problem

What is effecting my water pressure that takes an hour to fill up my bathtub?   What do i have to do to find out what the problem is?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-14T19:51:21+0000  by bunchyboo bunchyboo

Hi Bunchyboo,

There could be several issues involved here. First I have a few questions.

1)      Is the tub plumbing the only place you’re having problem? 

If so then the first thing to check is the bath tub faucet. There could be

issues with the faucet itself such as rust or mineral deposits in the line

or a defective valve.

Many bath faucets have cartridges like kitchen faucets which can be

replaced restoring the faucets performance to like new.

Older style valves have stems which can be repaired or replaced such as

on a two or three handle bath faucet.

2)      Is this a whole house problem?

In instances like this water pressure comes into play. Has the water

pressure always been low? Or is this a new problem that has cropped

up recently?

Again rust or mineral buildup can play a part in this problem, have you

had recent repairs performed on the water service to your home?

If so have all of the shutoffs been fully turned back on?

3)      How old is your water heater?

Older water heaters buildup sediment in the tank caused by minerals

which separate from the water when it is heated. These deposits can

travel in the hot water lines clogging everything in their path, including

your bathroom plumbing.

4)      What type of piping is in your home, copper or galvanized pipe?

Both types can develop deposits that reduce flow, or clog the line.

Older homes with galvanized piping often have water pressure

problems due to rust which builds up inside the piping reducing flow.

This rust continues to build up until the water flow drops to a trickle.

If cleaning, repairing or replacing the bath faucet does not solve the

problem, then your next step is to call in a plumber to dig deeper into

the issue.

Mike,

Posted 2013-03-14T21:55:23+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi Mike, My name is Lisa.  Thanks for responding to my question.  Im not handy with these kinds of projects.  Could you tell me how much it might cost me to have someone come over and check this out for me.  Would really appreciate it.  Thanks, talk soon.

Posted 2013-03-19T19:42:57+0000  by bunchyboo

Hi Lisa,

Since I do not know where you are located and the rates for plumbing work vary depending upon the location I cannot give you an estimate.

I would suggest calling your local Better Business Bureau for a recommendation of a plumber in your area.

Be sure to get at least three estimates before having any work done. You may be surprised by the different quotes.

Always ask for and check references before hiring any contractor.

Mike,

Posted 2013-03-21T19:32:08+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hi bunchyboo,

Since you and Mike originally corresponded, The Home Depot has established RedBeacon.com

This service connects our customers with private contractors in their local area.

The site is intuitive and very easy to use.

Simply follow the prompts to state your problem and several contractors will contact you to provide estimates.

The site also provides customer reviews of work done by these contractors.

Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Posted 2015-11-05T23:46:06+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+