Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Answered

Bathroom sink is cracked around where the popup stopper is?

Hi.  I am a little new to this fix it stuff.  I want to be able to fix things on my own since I am a woman.  Anyway, can you tell if this can be fixed or do I need to get a new sink all together.

I have another question.  My bathroom when you turn the handle all the way to hot there is not pressure and no hot water but just cold.  Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to call a plumber.

Thanks, 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-27T19:03:07+0000  by jax016 jax016

For a small chip sure thing :robothappy: glad we could be of assistance.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Best Answer

Posted 2011-03-21T16:11:25+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

with the sink you could try a heavy duty epoxy, but make sure crack is very clean. the faucet. Call a plumber 

Posted 2011-02-27T20:46:11+0000  by vatoloco1957

Hey there jax016, we all gotta start somewhere and you picked a great place to start your DIY journey.  Fixing a crack in a sink is actually a fairly easy process. Whether it's worth doing or not is really dependent on if the crack is deep enough to cause leaking and of course if the crack is too wide to worry about patching. Usually any cracks at the drain are the thin hairline type and super easy to take care of with a quick coat of Porc-a-fix. Porc-a-fix is a touch up paint and available in the paint department of most of our stores.  If the crack is more substantial the following steps should help you have it fixed in no time. 

• Thoroughly wipe the sink clean and allow to completely dry.
  • Apply the epoxy adhesive along the length of the crack.
  • Depending on the width of the crack you may need to use something (toothpick, small plastic scrapper) to insure the crack is completely filled with epoxy.
  • Wipe the excess epoxy away immediately with a damp old cloth. Be careful not to wipe over the crack itself.
  • Give the sink ample drying time, 24hrs if possible.
  • You may need to do some light sanding if the epoxy left a ridge at the crack. A bit of medium grit sandpaper will take care of that no problem.
  • Lastly to conceal the repair paint over the repaired crack with some Porc-a-fix.
  • Admire your handy work.
There are many types of epoxies available so make sure you grab one that list porcelain as a bonding surface.  As far as your second question I want to take a look at a couple of possibilities and will get back to you. I hope this info has been of some help and welcome to the community.
Cheers,
ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-02-27T20:55:27+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Thanks ChrisFixit!!!!  I am going to print this and take it to my Homedepot  to fix this next weekend.

Posted 2011-02-27T22:36:45+0000  by jax016

Glad to be of some help jax016! Just to make sure I'm understanding properly in regards to your second question.

Is your faucet a single handle (one control lever/knob) or traditional faucet with sperate hot and cold controls?

When you turn the hot water to the on position there is no water at all?

Or is it simply running out cold water when you turn the control for hot water?

Srry for answering your question with more questions but when it come to solving plumbing issues the more info the better.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-02-28T16:11:14+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Hello ChrisFixit,

The shower is a single level and it has one side hot and the other side cold.  When you turn all the way to the hot, water comes out but not that much but if you turn all the way toward cold it is cold.  Now I have two bathrooms and the other shower it is ok but sometimes it takes a while to get the water hot and I live in a condo.  I hope that this helps.

Thanks again.  I love HomeDepot!!!!!  The people there are nice and helpful especially my local one here in Jacksonville FL (Southside Blvd)

Posted 2011-03-03T02:25:05+0000  by jax016

I spoke to ChrisFixIt and we think that the diverter is not properly working.  This is more of a detailed project for a new DIYer, so you may want to have a plumber take a look at his for you.  Some stores have a master plumber who can walk you through the process in greater detail.  It would be helpful to determine the manufacturer and the model of your faucet – pictures are helpful. 

We want to reference a project guide that will show you how to remove and replace your stem.  (This guide shows a tub and shower faucet but it will give you an idea of what will need to be done.) 

Repairing a Cartridge Tub and Shower Faucet Project Guide

step_05.jpg

Best wishes and please keep us posted on the faucet.  We are glad that you love The Home Depot – we do too!!!

Posted 2011-03-04T15:23:17+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Thank you so much for the information.  I had a strong feeling it the cartridge may need to be replaced.  it was replaced when my husband and I first moved into the condo.

Also another question:  Now the crack in the sink has a bigger crack which is now a hole.  Can I fix the hole now or do I need a new sink.

Thanks  

Posted 2011-03-07T14:06:04+0000  by jax016

So you already suspected it was the cartridge eh? You're already thinking like a DIY veteran jax016 :robotvery-happy:!! Anywho I'm glad Designingwoman was able to forward that info along to you.

I have say jax016 that if the crack is spreading like that a surface repair may not be enough to save the sink. Usually I'd be all for repairing it but something tells me that in this case starting fresh might be a better option. You don't want to end up in a situation where you're spending more time repairing the sink than using it after all.  If you have an opportunity check under the bottom of the sink to see if you can see any evidence of the crack below. Also post a picture of the crack if you can so we can better choose a course of action.

If you end up replacing the sink I would say take the opportunity to patch the old one anyway. There's no better teacher than experience :robotwink:. I hope this has been helpful and let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-03-07T14:49:29+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

ChrisFixit,

Here is the picuture of the sink.  Any help you can give me will be appreciated.  If it can"t can fixed, i still appreciated the

help.

.100_0873.JPG

Posted 2011-03-09T01:03:04+0000  by jax016
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+