Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Behr Deckover over old paint job

Hello,
I have an old deck that was painted, not stained. All of the prep instructions I can find are for previously stained and/or stripped bare wood. Do I need to strip/sand all the old paint down to bare wood to use deckover? If not, what prep steps do I need to take on the old paint to ensure a good outcome? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-05-16T19:46:52+0000  by GolferDude GolferDude

Hi GolferDude,

Here are the manufacturers recommendations.

For Best results start with proper prep. Remove old stains and wood finishes with BEHR PREMIUM® Wood Stain & Finish Stripper. For mold and mildew stains, and to restore the wood's natural color, use BEHR PREMUIM® All-In-One Wood Cleaner.

Use a 1/2" roller cover to apply stain and start with vertical areas first. Apply even coats and allow ample dry time before exposing the surface to foot traffic and re-arranging plants and furniture.

Mike

Posted 2017-05-18T17:45:52+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
A couple observations:

You are always better to remove the old finish to bare wood. It is possible to go over an existing finish, however, when that is done, the new top coat's adhesion is only as good as the old finish. If the old finish releases, the new DeckOver will come up too.

If there are extensive vertical surfaces to be stained, it is much easier to use the match color of Behr Solid Stain, rather than the DeckOver. Solid color stain brushes much easier than the DeckOver.

If at all possible, stain the deck in the shade, or at least in the cool early morning hours. It is never a good idea to paint or stain in direct sunlight. Over cast days are ideal, so long as rain is not expected  for 24 hours.

Posted 2017-05-22T03:13:37+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+