Lawn & Garden

Boxelder maple, Acer negundo

Common Name: Ash-leaved maple

Type: tree

Family: Aceraceae

Zone: 2 to 10     Find Your Zone

Height: 30 to 60 feet

Width: 30 to 60 feet

Bloom Time: March to April (insignificant)

Sun exposure: Full sun

Soil: medium to wet,

Leaves: deciduous

This tree can survive just about anything except heavy shade. This tree is also very awful and will land itself on my list of the top 10 most horrible trees of all time article, once I write it. The boxelder tree in my mother’s yard is 50 foot round and gets covered in boxelder bugs. There are also boxelder trees popping up absolutely everywhere that the lawn mower does not go. This tree is invasive and fast growing. This tree also lives a short life and will drop dead branches frequently.Its roots will also grow 3 to 4 inches out of the ground, making mowing the grass interesting.The leaves also look like poison ivy.

Any site that says to plant it in places where other things wont grow is underestimating how bad this tree is. If you have one, then you probably have 100 of them and I would recommend cutting it down. If there is 1 good thing I have to say about it is that it grows fast and makes plenty of shade. 

Image result for boxelder bugs home depot

It is notorious for getting covered in Boxelder bugs which then try to make their way onto and into the house. If you have one of these trees then you will need to get some Boxelder bug Killer.

Find your closest local store

Related Articles:

How To Tap a Tree For Maple Syrup

Types of Maple Trees

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-10-01T20:30:39+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+