Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Broken Hardibacker

The installer left the Hardibacker outdoors overnight; there was strong wind that night which blew the Hardibacker down & broke all the sheets in half.  The Hardibacker was used anyway.  Will this compromise the integrity of my tile floor?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-29T18:33:05+0000  by LJay LJay

Now that's a little too late. Maybe the installer knew what he was doing?

Posted 2012-01-29T20:49:34+0000  by contraktor

I hope someone else can respond who is interested in being helpful, and not sarcastic.  I came here for help, not to be put down.  If you could see all the things that have been done improperly in my house so far, you might understand my concern.  Thank you.

Posted 2012-01-29T22:51:52+0000  by LJay

I'm only a DIYer and not a professional.  I used backerboard once to do a tile installation.  My understanding is that is would not matter if you cut it in half (or broke in half) and then layed it down.  According to the directions all joints should be taped and filled with tile mortar anyway. This would create one contininous subfloor to lay down your tile.

IMO I would never trust the installer to do anything than what is in his/her best financial interest.  

Posted 2012-01-30T00:02:19+0000  by clanza

Where is the floor? How big? How big is the tile ? From what material?

I could write a whole book about it and the conclusion will be;
In most cases it will not matter if the installer knows what he's doing.

I saw a completely badly done work which have survived in good condition for many years. I saw it done in accordance with rules which crumbled after a few years. Sometimes there is no rule.

You may be worried, or declare that nothing would happen and enjoy the beautiful new floor.

I'm sorry but that's reality ...

Posted 2012-01-30T01:12:15+0000  by contraktor

Thank you for your response.  I really was just hoping for some reassurance from someone who knows about such things.  I didn't see it until the floor was finished.  No one said anything about sealing the grout.  We were careful not to use the shower until well after we were told it was OK, and we didn't know water would damage the grout.  As a result, the grout has begun to flake off.  So you may understand why I don't automatically assume things are OK..

Posted 2012-01-30T01:28:57+0000  by LJay
The only thing you can do now is ask a local contractor to check the quality of work.
But this is just my opinion.
Posted 2012-01-30T01:42:18+0000  by contraktor

LJay wrote:

The installer left the Hardibacker outdoors overnight; there was strong wind that night which blew the Hardibacker down & broke all the sheets in half.  The Hardibacker was used anyway.  Will this compromise the integrity of my tile floor?

Hello LJay and thank you for joining our How-To-Community.

Jay I'm sorry to hear there is so many things that have been done improperly in your house.

I can understand your frustration – there are too many variables when it comes to this type of work, you are spending your time and money and you are still not sure if the things are getting done right.

Hopefully we can help here and answer your questions related to installation methods.

Will the broken Hardibecker compromise the integrity of your tile floor?

No, condition of the sheets itself (broken in half) should not compromise the integrity of the tile installation. However they way those same sheets have been installed in such condition might.

In other words, integrity of your floor greatly depends on the installation steps your contractors have used to install these sheets. I believe this is what contraktor was trying to emphasize.

This is from theHardibacker installation handbook;

Hardibacker.JPG

Notice manufacturer’s recommendation when it comes to staggering board joints,

This is a very important step, aligning board joints with subfloor joints (plywood) can directly result in cracked tiles or cracked grout joints. Why?

Basically your floor expands and contracts with temperature changes and your subfloor joints is the place where this all happens. I can see this being one of the challenges installer have had with broken sheets and also this could be a reason your grout joints are flaking off.

Another rule and another challenge with half sheets is; “Never allow all four corners of boards to meet at one point”.

Your installer should have also applied a supporting bed of mortar or modified thinset to subfloor. Is this something you remember being done during installation?

You also mentioned shower, was this product used for the shower base as well?

Hope this helps.

George

Posted 2012-01-30T16:52:07+0000  by George_HD_CHI

I believe this is what contraktor was trying to emphasize.

I think about the psychological aspect....

Does not make sense to scare people when you do not see this.

I believe the second opinion from a local contractor is the best option .

Posted 2012-01-30T17:44:45+0000  by contraktor

You asked if the Hardibacker was used for the shower.  No, the shower was installed first, right over the plywood subfloor, I assume.  Now you're scaring me! 

Posted 2012-01-30T21:22:19+0000  by LJay

Sorry, I didn't see your question as to whether they had applied mortar before laying the Hardibacker.  I honestly don't know. 

Posted 2012-01-30T21:26:48+0000  by LJay
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+