Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Building a basic workbench

Hello everyone. New guy here. After looking on craigslist for a workbench and not really finding something I like, I have decided that I want to build just a simple workbench so I can build my own golfclubs. I am wanting it to have maybe 2 shelves underneath so I can store my supplies and toolbox. This will be my first time ever building anything from scratch as I am not to experienced building stuff. Does anyone out there have maybe a basic plan or where I might look to start?

Thank you 

Wade

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-31T20:13:49+0000  by wkilpatrick wkilpatrick

Check out Simpson Strongties online set of drawings. They have about a half dozen of workbenches and tables drawings using their products that are reasonable and quite strong. They are free.

Go here:  http://www.strongtie.com/DIY/projects.html#shelves

Good luck.

Posted 2012-01-01T10:28:16+0000  by AGP1066

There are all kinds of plans for workbenches online. Something from a basic table to a very elaborate Roubo workbench. Each has their place. Every design was developed so that someone could do their specialty just a little bit easier.

With that being said, if you can provide some ideas of features you'd like to see (other than the shelves), I can find or design you an easy to use workbench. Here are some things to think about. What kind of shafts do you typically use? Metal, graphite, wood, etc. each have their benefits to golf while having different issues to deal with when building a club with them. Do you use rubber/synthetic slip on grips or are you a more traditionalist wrapping leather? What power tools or hand tools do you use? Miter saw, drill press, belt sander, bench grinder, knives, chisels, hammers, etc.?

As for the tools, the bench can be designed to work as part of  the tools or to assist in using your tools. As an example, if you use a miter saw, the bench can be designed to allow the saw to fit into the bench so that cutting and work surface are flush. On the flipside, if you have a miter saw stand, you can make sure the bench is the same height as the height of the miter saw table when on your stand. As for other bench tools, they can be placed the same way as the saw. With a bit of thought, we might be able to come up with a fastening system for the tools, allowing them to be alternately "snapped" into place in the same location, depending on what you're doing at the time.

Do you have a vise already? One of the primary tools used in making clubs is a bench vise. Depending on the type of vise, you can use a rubber vise clamp to hold your shafts while working them, a shaft extractor to make removing shafts from the club head easier. Do you have a gripping station to make putting grips on easier and accurately?

I can easily give you a plan for a workbench like this:

Workbench.jpg

This is a very basic workbench or work surface. Nothing specifically there to make building golfclubs easier. No vise, no parts and pieces storage, no electrical access making use of power tools easier, or dust collection features. As you can see from my above design, anyone can build it. No special tools or advanced techniques are needed to build it.

Give me some input and I'll provide you with a design. This sounds like a fun project.

Posted 2012-01-01T16:10:43+0000  by Paul

Well, Wade, while waiting on some input and having the day off, I decided to draw up a model of a workbench that will help get you started thinking about what you want.

Golf Club Workbench.jpg

This particular bench has several features not readily visible. Let's start from the bottom up.

The feet are adjustable to allow for leveling. Loosen the nuts and bolts, adjust till level and then tighten back up. Shown below with one of the outside legs hidden to allow a better view.

Golf Club Workbench2.jpg

You'll see there are slots cut into the foot, allowing it to "float."

Next, sanding creates dust and sanding dust is hard on the lungs, especially graphite dust. To make sanding shafts, heads and other parts safer, there is sanding dust collection built into the bench. I did a quick mock up of a Ridgid 4 gallon wet/dry vac (be sure to use a high efficiency bag). It sits on the shelf under the bench. Next you run the hose from the vac to a reducer attached to the underside of the bench. A small portion of the bench is sectioned off and topped with a piece of pegboard. Shown here with the pegboard slid out a bit to show more detail.

Golf Club Workbench3.jpg

The last of not so visible features is a torsion box. As shown in the post on building a platform bed for a disabled person, a torsion box is easily made, flat, stiff and incredibly strong. The bench top is a form of torsion box. Two pieces of hardboard sandwich a simple 2x4 frame.

Golf Club Workbench4.jpg

One other thing you may notice under the surface of the top, the area under the vise is filled in. This is accomplished by cutting 6x6 pieces of MDF or plywood and dropped into place. The vise is then bolted to the bench through these pieces and through to the bottom.

Now for the more visible features. There is a section of pegboard on the back of the hutch for hanging some hand tools. There are Stanley or Husky storage bins that hang on cleats attached to the back of the hutch as well. Below all that is a tool well. The well is a handy area for temporarily storing some tools or parts, keeping them out of the way but within reach, while working on your clubs. You can easily add some lighting with a desk lamp attached to the top of the hutch or puck lights under the hutch's shelf.

You will want to adjust the height of the legs to accommodate your height, making work at the bench more comfortable. Most workbenches are easily sized by using this simple rule of thumb (or wrist in this case). Just measure the distance from the floor to the crease on the inside of your wrist. That's the height of your bench. A lot of the height dimensions given for workbenches over the years are based on the height of woodworkers centuries old. As a whole, the planet's population is taller now, so we adjust accordingly.

As for construction, you'll want a circular saw, jig saw or hand saw, drill, screw driver, socket set and/or some wrenches, 1/2" nuts, bolts and washers, drywall or wood screws and finally some construction adhesive. There are no complicated joints or cuts to make. No complicated techniques to conquer. Just a fairly simple workbench, easily adapted to whatever hobby you choose.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas. Let me know if you want to proceed with adding more detail or plans on building this. Either way, this gives you a starting point.

Posted 2012-01-02T19:57:53+0000  by Paul
I like the look of this bench. I am finally cleaning out the garage in a house we bought and will be making something like this in the spring. I have a table saw, jig saw and the rest of the hand tools. I can build something off of plans but not very good at building off of a picture alone. Any help would be great.
Posted 2012-01-15T15:05:44+0000  by sshablak

nice designs here fellas...what programs do you use to create these 3d models?  Google sketch?

Posted 2012-01-15T18:50:35+0000  by sjoa1

Yes, all my models are done in Sketchup...

Posted 2012-01-17T02:16:35+0000  by Paul

sshablak - To which bench are you referring? I will break it all down piece by piece and show some more detail needed for building.. just let me know which bench.

Posted 2012-01-17T02:18:50+0000  by Paul
The one with the pegboard back. I like the leveling feet, The pegboard back and the top that looks like it could easily have a florescent light in it. The built in vacuum is a plus but not necessary.
Posted 2012-01-18T01:44:01+0000  by sshablak

ok - give me 2-3 days and I'll have something posted here... schedules lately around here are a bit whacked so haven't had much time to play around on here...

Posted 2012-01-18T04:21:10+0000  by Paul

sshablak,

Just a quick question about your intended use of the bench. Are you going to be using this bench in a manner such that you will be pounding on it? Something like hammering nails into wood that would be on the bench? if that's the case, the top will need to be modified a bit. If it is used as more of an assembly desk, it's fine as it is.

Posted 2012-01-19T01:29:21+0000  by Paul
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+