Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Building a vanity

So my husband is going to build me a vanity thats 5ft long and 1 ft wide. But im not sure which wood woukd be the best to use as the top. It may get wet with me using a water spray bottle but nothing to get the table top saturated. Suggestions?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-01-11T19:43:46+0000  by MirandaDavison MirandaDavison
Hello MirandaDavison, and welcome to the Community!

Vanity cabinets are are typically a wood grain like oak, if you plan to stain it or poplar wood if you would rather paint the cabinet. As for the vanity top, if it's going to be a custom size, and it sounds like it will be, the same wood can be used on top, think about your kitchen or dining room table, it's usually wood with several coats of polyurethane finish to protect all exposed wood, even the wood you can't see. Either way you go, just make sure the wood has several coats of whatever you decide, just follow the instructions on the can, you can also speak to a Home Depot associate in the paint department for product specific questions. 

Posted 2018-01-12T13:10:55+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
You can also use an epoxy resin which won't yellow with age.
Posted 2018-01-16T07:33:44+0000  by SleeplessinHayfork

Greetings MirandaDavidson,

A vanity is such a wonderful piece of functional furniture. A few years ago, I built a vanity shelf; because your question is directed to the vanity top, I thought I would share my post.

How to Create a New Vintage Vanity Shelf

I used plywood (a rescued scrap piece) for my vanity shelf with several coats of latex paint. The shelf is over two years old and I use, and abuse it, every day. I have spilled, sprayed and splashed, countless, assorted liquids, and makeup on the shelf surface and it has all just wiped clean with a wet cloth. 

I believe that the wood surface needs to be sealed with several coats of paint. If you desire a natural wood surface finish, seal the wood with a few coats of polyurethane. You just need to create a good, stain resistant topcoat, choose your favorite wood. 

Good expensive varieties of wood i.e., teak, mahogany, or oak should be enhanced, the grains brought up and clear sealant; a less expensive wood (like mine) can be painted or stained, it is your decision.

We would love to some pictures of the project! I hope you enjoy the process and the “makeup” of your vanity ;-)

I am looking forward to seeing some photos, all the best,

Posted 2018-01-16T15:33:56+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question