Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

CERAMIC TILE

We had shiny ceramic 20x20 tiles installed in our bedroom and find it very slippery.  We purchased it at a local store and the salesman never told us it would be so hard to walk on.  We've been told that since, that something like that is usually only put on walls?  Is this true?  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-06-22T23:02:32+0000  by CARLOK CARLOK
It's entirely possible as there are "wall" tiles whose finish makes them less suited for floors.  The only way to know for sure is to go back to the manufacturer and see what they have to say.
Posted 2014-06-23T12:55:12+0000  by Adam444
Thanks Adam.  However we don't know the manufacturer and I'm very hesitant to call the store we bought it from because we're holding off paying our credit card bill for it until we find out what recourse we have.  We're elderly and the woman never warned us.  Had she told us we would have picked out other tile.
Posted 2014-06-23T13:01:24+0000  by CARLOK
Lets assume, for sake of discussion, that the tile is not appropriate for a floor and, being gracious, that the salesperson mistakenly sold you the wrong product.  You could discuss the problem with the store and see what they have to say.  Unfortunately the biggest cost of tile flooring isn't the tile but rather the labor to install it.  The only fix is to rip out the old tile and install the correct product.  You might get the store to pay for new tile but I think they may balk at paying the labor bill.

But this presumes the tile is not designed to be used a floor.  Probably something you want to determine before you talk with the store because some tile is just slipperier than others. 

Who installed the tile?
Posted 2014-06-24T01:48:24+0000  by Adam444
Trust me, she didn't make a mistake.  She said we picked out what we liked, so she sold it to us!  

The contractor who works for the store installed it.  He hadn't seen it before installation but came the following day.  He even said it was too slippery, but when I mentioned that to the woman at the store, he denied it.  Trust me, she got the sale and could not care less how we feel.  The contractor even said that, but would of course deny it if confronted.  The tile is is a little over $1300.  Installation was $950.

Posted 2014-06-24T11:34:05+0000  by CARLOK
Frankly, that sounds like a pretty fair price for installation.  I would have charged a lot more. ;-)

I was a afraid that you'd say that the installer worked for the store.  Obviously he's going to want to keep his job.

Unfortunately I don't know a solution other than to start over.
Posted 2014-06-25T01:16:55+0000  by Adam444

Hi there CARLOK,

I’m Jen, from The Home Depot.  I’m sorry to hear about the disappointment with your tile.

A member of The Home Depot Customer Care will be contacting you soon - via the email address that you provided when you signed up for this account.

Posted 2014-06-25T12:28:01+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS
Jen,  I hope you don't think this has to do with a Home Depot store.  It's an independent store here in Florida.  I was just on this message board looking for information.  Sorry if you thought it was any of your employees.  We've had nothing but good reports for Home Depot.
Posted 2014-06-25T15:44:42+0000  by CARLOK

Hi again,

Oh…thank goodness!  I must say, that I did think you were writing in about a store.

I’m sorry about your flooring troubles.  If The Home Depot can assist you with an install after you handle things with the previous company, please let us know.  We do stand behind all of our installations.

May I suggest that you do reach out to the company that you purchased the flooring with?  They cannot help you if they are unaware of the situation.

Best of luck to you!

Posted 2014-06-25T15:58:03+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS
Thanks Jen.  Sorry I hadn't mentioned that before.  As far as the store we bought the tile from.  They're well aware of the situation and apparently have washed their hands of the situation.   I know Home Depot would never do that.  Should have gone there in the first place.  Lesson learned.
Posted 2014-06-25T16:04:37+0000  by CARLOK
Hi!
Christine from O.C. updated me on this:
There is a non slip coating you can add to your tile- Home Depot sells it.
Try this link- click here to read

Hope this helps- you can keep your beautiful tile!

Posted 2014-06-25T18:22:56+0000  by Gail_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+