Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Cable Wiring Question

Hello- I am adding a new cable outlet to my main living area. The house seems to have RG59 cable running in. Can I split this and run RG6 to my outlet? (the outlet will run a digital HDTV box). Or do I need to run a new "main" line of RG6  replacing the RG59 before splitting? I am using a Ideal brand splitter and compression connectors for the new split.

Also any recommendation between the "2-way surge suppression splitter" and the "satellite and digital TV splitter", seems like only difference is surge protection?

Thanks,

Scott-

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-11T01:51:33+0000  by SB2011 SB2011

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Kudos for you in upgrading your cable outlet for your HDTV box. Let's get you wired up right.

For most datacom wiring nowadays, including cable TV, the best way to get the clearest signal for your TV is by running a dedicated (aka "home running") line from the power source outside straight to your outlet without splitting. As TV's and electronics are getting more complex and needing more power to supply them, the best choice is to run a single dedicated line. 

This will give you less interference and problems, and best of all, if you have to troubleshoot, you have only 2 connections to fix.

As for the wiring to use, typically most newer cables run with RG-6 or even higher with RG-6 Quad Shield. In fact, I would recommend you to use RG-6 Quad Shield for your cables, its a significant upgrade and it gives the best signal from any other coaxial cable we sell...below is a picture of it and specs that explain why its the best choice for your new cable wire...

quad shield.JPG

So, run your main new line of RG-6 Quad Shield and then use a low voltage rated junction box as well as a plate with RG-6 Quad Shield connectors, preferably gold plated. Those items are in the pictures below, and while I know you may not need an HDMI connection that is shown on the cable plate, just make sure the connections are rated for RG-6 Quad Shield and are preferably gold plated.

Cablebox and cover.JPG

If you still need surge protection on your cable line, one easy solution is to put a surge protector on the cable line out of the box, preferably one with a high Joules rating. As for splitting your signal, it is possible but you can lose some quality of signal by doing so, so be mindful of that.

Well Scott, hope this helps you out, and any further questions please do not hesitate to ask us.

Have a good one,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-04-11T12:43:01+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you very helpful. I assume then you would reccomend replacing the R59 currently which is running to a seperate room and also my wireless router (they are in the same room). Should I replace that with the quad shield as well?

Therefore for my main line I am working on: as you mentioned I would add another main line using quad shield  to run direct to my main HDTV, and then replace the second "original" line with the quad shield to to my other main room and then split there for the wireless router and TV? Or I suppose I could run a third line direct to the wirelss router for best output too?

Lastly do you reccomend a specific F Connector I should use or would any rated for RG6 be ok?

Thank you-

Posted 2011-04-11T23:42:51+0000  by SB2011

Hello : My name is Ralph , I use elect_answers on the forum, I'm an electrician I work for Home Depot in the suburbs of Chicago. I wanted to add a bit to conversation , and mention a Depot supplier that includes a LOT of valuable FREE education on their web site,  ( which I have been through & thought was well worth the time). The knowledge is found at Leviton companies web site: www.leviton.com 1 place to look is their "ezlearn group of classes, under the heading eztools . The second is in their video library of free online videos, found almost to the bottom of the library header . 

I can not tell where you are, to know how the structure was likely wired for lights etc. If it was wired with "romex" plastic coated wiring product, then "yes" you absolutely want to use quad shield coax every where. You want to set yourself up with the best chance for as little interference as possible. By using the quad shield coax to have 2 layers of foil and 2 layer of braid for the most shielding from electromagnetic interference you can!

If you are feeding several different locations around your house ( and maybe the garage) what I have been trained to do, ( and did in my own home re-wire) is follow "the star wiring topology". Every run of cable , whether it is TV, phone or computer is a "home run" from a centralized point to the end location. If you are feeding multiple TV locations then a splitter with at least a frequency range of 5 to 1000 megahertz will cover regular cable or ATT's  Uverse service.  I have had excellent success with the splitters from Leviton and Ideal Industries sold at Depot stores. They cover the frequencies needed for cable TV, and are excellent performers, several of the Ideal splitters are sold worth their own built in surge suppression, as an extra layer of surge protection for your stuff.

I did not understand clearly communication, if your source is satellite TV or not? In case satellite is  your source, Ideal Industries has a splitter for that use also, it covers to 2.3 gigahertz for your TV viewing.

Your mention of a wireless router makes me think you are feeding a cable modem into a wireless router. If this is the case I would strongly recommend you use a 1 X 2 splitter to feed all your TV and the other output to feed a separate coax direct to your cable modem, and then to your wireless router. That way should you find that the resistance build up and you add a video amplifier to boost the signal, you do not send that amplified signal to the modem and router, it will shorten their life dramatically!

Also when running the coax try to keep all runs from being done in a way that pinches the coax with tight staples. Or that rolls up the coax into small coils less than 10 inches across. It takes the coax out of round, and degrades it's performance!  

As far as connector to use goes, Home Depot sells a good quality kit of all 3 of the tools used for the proper install of an F-connector on RG-6 or 6 quad coax and has 10 ends and a blue carry box for the tools and end. (I have heard VERY few complaints from people I have recommended it to.)  It's store SKU is 306106. There are also sets of 10 extra ends available in the same area as the kit, should you need more than 10 ends for your project. 

Hope this answers all the questions, with out overloading you . Please feel free to "holler back",  if you want more help, . Ralph

Posted 2011-04-12T08:06:28+0000  by elect_answers

Thanks Ralph, appreciate the info! I recently moved into my first house, so have been trying to learn/upgrade as much as I can. The home is about 20 years old, in suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio. From my main cable box outside the house; the main line has a splitter for two separate lines that run through the house. The previous owners only had two rooms wired for cable from those two direct lines. Sounds like I should split that main line into a few more lines, maybe with a 4 way splitter at the original line, and then run each as a "home run" to their location including using a separate line for the cable modem for best performance. Since i want to wire multiple rooms, I imagine I will need to split them again for certain rooms that I may not need the "best signal" unless I would use more than a 4 way splitter at the original line which I am not sure is a good idea as I typically only see 4 way splitters max. Any recommendation there? Also I do not have satellite TV but digital cable.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted 2011-04-13T01:25:12+0000  by SB2011

Hello Again Scott: What I have been trained to do and what has worked well is to run cables any where you choose just run from the cable box with 2 coaxes. "A" goes as direct as possible to the modem for internet, done,( hopefully )

Home run "B" comes from the  1X 2 splitter to feed all your TV's The idea would be that all TV's come from "B" homerun so that if you need an amplifier to over come all the resistance in all the coax you have run you could put the amplifier there " at the beginning, or head end ".

I do not know how many TV's you are planning to have in your house at any given time ? So, in the end you really DO NOT want to do any " 2nd generation splits ". Please do yourself a favor, do not take a coax running to the living room and split it , and go to , ( for the sake of discussion) a TV in the garage which is close by. You will have a situation where there is more resistance on that run than others. It will make a mess for you in future!   

There are splitters made that go up to 1 X 16. Most Home Depots sell a Leviton 1 X  6 splitter 

Store SKU # 218655 Store SO SKU # 162677 that will feed 6 cable locations.  I admit I am not sure how many screens you want to use at any given time will 6 be enough ? It looks like this , and has the push pins for use in a Leviton structured media or" spaghetti box" Leviton made a 2 X16 with an amplifier to deal with the resistance in all that coax. It was available by special order. I tried to search their web site , no luck. I do not have a catalog at home so I would have to check when I get back to the store tomorrow to verify the number and get a price , if you were interested?  

Scott I hope this helps your understanding on the world of coax? I am set up here for an email alerting me if I get other  responses on this post.

Food for thought : I do not know how you are planning for phone, computer or audio around the house, I would consider running some 5e cable with the RG6 quad you are running. That way as your world changes you can be ready for what ever comes next!

I have also learned that if you wire with 5e, and use it for your phones, the end result will likely allow the whole single family home to be "plugged into " a Vonage phone over the internet box, fed from your router!  Now you can have lots of talk time available all over the house for a set price every month, with good clean connections! Obviously they will not recommend this, hey all I can say is I followed the best practices I was taught,  &  it worked for me!

Hope this all helps, I'm only a shout away, Ralph

Posted 2011-04-13T03:09:19+0000  by elect_answers

Thanks Ralph for helping. I have 3 bedrooms, a main room, a den, plus a basement. So I would have 6 max, (although I dont have TVs in all the locations now). Per your advice my best solution would be have the modem wired direct., then with my second line purchase a 1 X 6 splitter such as the item you referenced (this assuming I would run all rooms mentioned above for future use), and then wire each direct from the 1 x 6 split therefore I would have the original split in the cable to the modem and then the secondary 1 x 6 split for all the TV locations. Any recommendation on where I should have the 1 x 6 located or does it matter, should I locate it elsewhere from the actual cable box outside with original split, I believe that is your reference to the structured media box to keep all the lines in order.

I dont think I need the price for the 2 x 16 since I would not need that many lines.  Also I have read a little on amplifiers, would that be useful to look into if I wire 6 rooms?

Thanks -

Posted 2011-04-14T00:44:18+0000  by SB2011

Hi Scott : No problem helping out man. After having done this for as long as I have, the only reasonable thing to do is try to make sure people keep their mistakes to a minimum, for sure!

Yes the modem gets 1 of the 2 "outs" of a 1 X 2 splitter. Yes, all the TV's get the other. ( If you do not plan to use all 6 of the outputs on the Leviton module you would be well advised to use the terminator ends included in the package to prevent problems with picture quality like "ghosting".

Yes it would be wise to bring the feeds from the service providers into a Structured Media Cabinet, ( I know them as"spaghetti boxes"), like the ones Leviton sells. Neater counts now, and in the future, remember you are also working to add value to the property! Leviton sells 3, some stores sell only 2, a 14" high and a 28" high, more room isalways better, they fill up fast.

Yes , now that I know your scope the 2 X 16 would be a waste! 

Amplifiers are sometimes useful, they can also create as much as much trouble as they solve. They now need to be bi-directional, meaning they amplify the signal they see, but still allow flow of a signal back towards the service provider! No 2 way amplifier means you could break your remote trying to press the button to do services like ordering a pay per view movie, with signal being blocked by the amp ! Failure to follow the standards here can add much aggravation here. Also if you do get an amp make sure it is a 5 to 1000 megahertz bandwidth unit! You need your amp to cover all the frequencies that cable TV uses. You want your project to create a nice big, fat pipe , so you get all the signal you are paying for !  

Give a holler when you get ready to do a wall mount tv, I will collect the numbers for the set of parts that make for a safe, slick, low profile,  wall mount for your TV. 

Please check the free education Leviton offers online, as always, holler an time you need help,  Ralph

Posted 2011-04-14T03:38:47+0000  by elect_answers

Hey again Scott, 

I see elect_answers has already answered for you some great ideas and planning to get your cable system up and running.:smileyhappy:

The only additional tidbit of advice I can offer is  when you are planning on connecting your coaxial connections, I find that using a compression crimper coaxial tool gives the cable a much more snug and secure connection versus a twist-on style. It reduces the possibility of frays and weak signal, giving you optimum performance. Cables and connections slide through the tool and slide into place, sorta like how rivets work on holding your blue jean pockets together. However, the hole in the center remains for the dielectric (the solid wire piece) and thereby giving you a clean and professional looking connection. Here is a picture and specs of this great product:

compressioncrimper.JPG

Please let us know if you have any further questions Scott,

Joseph

Posted 2011-04-14T14:14:19+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello : Joseph you are correct about the fact that crimping an F connector on coax is not a good idea for sure. The points left by the crimper allow for leakage in and out of the connector. The compression connections usually have an oring type of sealer in them helping them seal out moisture, so there is less loss, so a better connection will last longer, for a happier end result ! 

For someone doing a project like re-cabling a a whole house I personally like, ( and have had almost no complaints from people who have purchased it on my recommendation) . I would recommend the Paladin tools DataShark kit in the blue box. That way the user gets all 3 tools. The cutter , which cuts the cable with out smashing the end flat. Making it hard to prep for install. The prep tool that prepares the cable by striping off the jacket, with out nicking the copper on the center conductor. The compression tool for compressing the connector on to the cable. 10 ends to install on the coax. Lastly but not maybe most important, a blue box to keep all of it in! There are almost always packs of 10 more ends should they be needed. 

Here is how it looks when you open it up and get ready to get busy.  It is : Model # 70019, & Store SKU # 306106.

The people I take to from Paladin Tools told me that they tested the tool through 60,00 compression cycles.

for what it is worth here is my "2 cents worth",   Ralph 

Posted 2011-04-14T20:31:41+0000  by elect_answers

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+