Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Can I Add Tint to Any Brand of Paint

I need outdoor paint that I am going to use on rocks with a spray painter (Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer). The paint needs to be high gloss so the number of options are limited. Can I get any brand of paint tinted at Home Depot? Is there any extra charge for certain brands? The one I saw at the store that seems most applicable is the Glidden Bright White Gloss Interior/Exterior Oil Paint
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-09-15T05:25:51+0000  by mahalu mahalu

Almost every paint has to be tinted, regardless of brand. If you think about it, if every paint came pre-tinted the paint department would be the size of the building. Thousands of colors, different sheens, several brands and grades of paint for each brand. It would be a nightmare.

The price on the shelf includes tinting.
Posted 2020-09-15T10:58:10+0000  by Adam444

Hey mahalu,

In terms of the paint we carry in our store, we can almost tint any brand. There are some exceptions, like our Rust-Oleum brand for example. As long as you purchase the paint from us, there is and will never be any charge to tint. 

However, for Glidden, most of that line can be tinted. The real question to ask is what color you'd like as a final coating. Very dark colors are limited to some options for certain brands, but for light to mid tones, tinting those shouldn't be an issue provided the  correct tint base for the paint is in stock.

Joseph

Posted 2020-09-15T12:50:48+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hello mahalu.

The paint you list is a gel type that would not likely work well if at all with your airless sprayer.
I would rather use a paint that is made for masonry even though high gloss paint is hard to come by.

Check out this option: LINK
Zinnser Perma-White is self priming, comes in semi-gloss and will adhere well to masonry.  I assume that is your best hope for painting rocks.  It can be used in an airless spray gun.  Being bright white, it can be tinted to off-white, pastel or medium colors: just not dark ones.  Your local Home Depot can tint this paint up to a max of 4 ounces of tint per gallon.

Chris.

Posted 2020-09-15T18:56:55+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+