Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

Can I DIY spray paint lantern lights?

I bought these lantern lights recently from Amazon and bought some Rust-Oleum in a metallic champagne color from Home Depot. Is it possible to DIY spray paint the lantern lights? Would I need to take out the bulbs/cord inside the lights? Any recommendations on how to do that? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-10T16:42:14+0000  by Sders Sders

Hello Sders and welcome to the Community.

From the photo you posted, it appears that unfortunately if you spray paint them the light will not show through.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte
Posted 2016-05-10T17:47:06+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi Sders,

I'm fairly certain you can disassemble the lights by separating each "Lantern" from the bulb.

If your view is unobstructed through the lanterns, then you should be able to use light coats of spray to change the existing gold color.

If you notice a film or thin sliver of plastic in the lantern openings, then it is likely that you will cover the gold and the openings equally with spray paint.

In the second example, you'll lose the ports and the lights ability to exit the lantern.

I would select the sprays that are specifically labeled for plastic.

Based upon you photo, I believe light is passing out through the lantern ports ... leading me to believe they are unveiled openings.

If that is accurate, you should be able to complete your project.

Inspect them carefully before beginning.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

NOTE:
You may cover some of the interior yellow while spraying, which might change the appearance of the light coming through the ports.

This is another argument for light coats.

Posted 2016-05-11T20:07:21+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+