Sign In to join the community | Help
Our Workshops

Can pellet stoves be vented through our existing chimney?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-03T22:55:53+0000  by skipper404 skipper404

Hi skipper,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

Yes, your pellet stove can be vented through your existing chimney, providing your pellet stove is placed in front of your existing fireplace and you have the proper clearance, the airspace between the stove, the walls and you meet the minimums as defined in the owner’s manual.  Be sure that the stove is sitting on top of a fire proof surface such as stone or ceramic tile.

You will need to install a flue liner inside the chimney though.  The flue liner will reduce the size of the flue used to ventilate the wood pellet stove.  You will want to measure the height of the chimney from the middle of the firebox to a point 4 inches above the top line of the current chimney.    

Assemble the flue liner according to the manufacturerinstructions. Wrap the flue liner with the supplied insulation and tape the insulation inplaceOnce the flue liner has been assembled, lower it into place from the top of the chimney, and then anchor it in place with the supplied hardware at the bottom of the flue liner

You next step will be to connect the stove to the flue liner.  This step may require using a length of double insulated vent pipe and fittings.  Once this is accomplished, tighten any fittings to the manufacturer specifications in your installation manual so that you have an airtight connection between the stove and the flue liner.

Next, connect the stove to an outside fresh air inlet.  Your pellet stove has an electric starter and will need to be plugged into a standard household outlet.  Be sure that the circuit breaker for outlet is rated for the electric stove.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2014-01-04T00:51:35+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Thank you, Rick for your help.  I am 76 years old and my husband is 79.  We have lived in our cape cod home for 50 years.  After the blizzard of 77 here in Buffalo we wanted an alternate source of heat so we bought a Fisher wood burning stove.  They were popular then.  It was installed in the basement and vented through the existing chimney.  We built a brick hearth under it.  At the time plumbers and dealers told us it was ok to use the chimney flue as vent but had heard stories of possible chimney fires.  So last year (after not using the wood stove that much) we sold it.  Living in Buffalo I am not comfortable without any alternate source of heat.  The stove came in handy during electrical outages and no furnace working.  I would have to have a stove (gas or pellet) installed by a professional.  However, the cost is high.  Installation is as expensive as the stove itself.  If there is any other way to get heat to our house that you know of, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks for responding and "listening."

Carol Gaglione

PS:  i know a generator is another option.

Posted 2014-01-04T16:52:39+0000  by skipper404

Hi Carol,

I can relate to your situation.  I lived in St. Paul, Minn. for 15 years.  We had an incinerator in the basement which was vented thru our chimney as well.  The fireplace came in handy, but we were fortunate, not to have to rely on it for anything but ambiance on those cold -30 F days and nights.  My wife likes to watch “Buying Alaska”.  There have been a number of really cool pot belly & hybrid woodstoves featured on that program. 

Wood Stove Vogelzang Boxwood cast iron.jpg

The cost of course is the installation.  If it is done wrong, it could be a fire hazard or it could leak harmful & dangerous gases into your living space.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to install an outside vent thru the wall and have it vented out the ceiling and thru the roof.  Check with some of your neighbors to see if they have done this type of project.  You may be able to gather some good info on this.  I have seen some that are vented thru the wall behind the stove too.  This will depend on the Building Code for your area.

This will depend on the Building Code for your area.  A good quality installation will save on future problems.  A bad quality install could be hazardous! 

Many of The Home Depot stores are offering a service called Red Beacon.  All of the service contractors in this service are back by The Home Depot and your installation, service and satisfaction are guaranteed.  Check it out.

Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Posted 2014-01-07T20:05:36+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+