Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

Can you Remove Drawer Trim on Tool Box?

Does anyone know if/how you can remove the silver trim on the Husky Tool Boxes?  Specifically, I have the 26" and would like to remove to paint.  Thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-01-27T22:40:36+0000  by stiersky stiersky

Good morning stiersky,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I've never heard of anyone trying to remove or alter the trim, but you can definitely paint over it with whatever color of your choice.

To do it successfully, you'll need to first use a primer that can adhere to the trim's surface. A good primer for this would not only bond to the trim, but also means you don't have to sand or scuff it to help it bond, thus saving you time.

Primers that work well for this are oil or alcohol based, such as Cover Stain by Zinsser. Once  you apply it, let the primer dry for an hour.

Afterwards, you can then cover it with a high gloss top coat of paint in latex or oil based. The key is the primer. Also, be sure to use a good quality brush or roller to get smooth and professional results on the final finish.

Again, I've never heard of anyone attempting to remove the trim, since it would be integrated with the drawers, so painting over it would be the only solution to cover it....unless you just wanted the trims for another purpose.

Joseph

Posted 2015-01-28T14:24:16+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thanks Joseph!  I appreciate the suggestion.  
I'm in the process of converting this into a large jewelry box.  The silver of the drawer trim is too industrial looking.  I was trying to come up with options to either a) paint the trim or b) cover it in some kind of velvet.  Being able to remove it, i thought, would make painting easier if I could us a spray paint.
Posted 2015-01-28T18:24:52+0000  by stiersky
Spray painting it is definitely an option, but failure to prime it first can lead it to flake off and chip within a very short amount of time.

We do carry Cover Stain, the primer I mentioned earlier, in spray paint form. Once you do that, you can spray over it with whatever top coat you'd like.

Joseph
Posted 2015-01-28T21:04:40+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
The best way to remove the tool box drawer trim is with a small nylon head hammer and a bit of patience. During manufacture there is a small indentation under the finger lip to hold those trim pieces in place. Usually close to one end or the other. The best way is to lightly tap the end of the trim closest to this indentation and lightly hammer the trim past it and then it will be free to pull off by hand. Use a small faced nylon or plastic tipped hammer will not damage the trim. I did damage the hammer. It was an inexpensive hobby hammer with threaded tips. Patience is key so you don't bend the trim by hand pulling it off in the process. I don't know if other tool boxes are done the same way but best believe I'm gonna find out. I'm a little late by a few years but I was trying to find out the same thing this morning and had to figure it out. Hope this helps anyone looking to do the same. 
Now you've heard of someone doing it, Joseph. 
Posted 2016-09-25T16:11:38+0000  by Wwood

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+