Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Carpet Remove

Hi Guys,

Want to remove my old carpet in one of the rooms . When using a utility knife and cutting up the carpet , do you cut right at the edge or do you give a few inches and then cut ?

After you cut , do we then use the plybar to get the carpet off the tackless strips ?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-02T19:06:24+0000  by keegan keegan

hanks for stopping by the community, we hope to see you often in the New Year.

While removing the carpeting in the room you do want to cut away from the edge (tack strip area) about  a couple of inches. Also cut the carpet up into strips so that it will be more manageable to roll up and remove. Try and use a pair of pliers to grab hold of the carpet edge and pull it up. It's also advisable to wear a pair of work gloves in case the carpet slips out of your hands and to protect against catching your hands on the sharp tack strips. You may also use either a screw driver or small pry bar to get that edge started. Be careful to not get underneath the tack strips and possibly remove them. Please be very careful, a lot can happen with such a simple project. Anytime knives and sharp pointy objects are involved things can happen.:smileysurprised:

You may also want to change out your padding under the carpeting while you have it up. Also, if you have any squeaky spots on the floor, go ahead and screw those areas down before applying new carpeting. We've got some great info on our website about carpet pad, pile and options. Click here for that information,  http://bit.ly/hbGHms. 

I hope you found this helpful. Please feel free to "pop" in anytime - we are here 24/7.

carpet pic.JPG

Posted 2011-01-02T19:38:58+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

THanks for the reply ...

Please look at the picture i will post and let me know where i should start cutting using a utility knife . I take it first we cut before we use the prybar correct ? 1-2-2011 1-57-42 PM.jpg

Posted 2011-01-02T21:01:40+0000  by keegan

Hey Keegan. 

Just try and come diagonal from the corner out into the room and then cut parallel along the wall (#1). The best advise I can give you is to just try and get the edge started, and the rest will just fall into place. You cant really damage much during this process.

...Provided this was a normal carpet install, most of the time the carpet is cut to room size, slightly tucked just under the baseboards and then stretched to tighten. The only problem you might run into is that if the baseboard was accually installed after the carpet (which is highly unlikely). 

Thank you so much for responding back with other questions - we love to help and we love lots of questions.

Happy New Year!

Posted 2011-01-03T12:51:58+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Do you have to remove the molding to remove the carpet?  We are re-decorating our basement living room, which will include new paint and new carpet.  I'm wondering about when to paint the molding or maybe how to paint it if it is against carpet.  But, I guess if you remove the old carpet, then paint before new carpet, that might be easier?  My husband swears we can't remove the molding without breaking/destroying it.  Lots of questions in one post, I know.... 

Posted 2011-01-06T02:29:30+0000  by Petfixr

Hey Petfixr,

I am Gregg from the Chicago area Home Depot and I recently installed carpet for the first time at my house. Your husband is correct about the trim (but you don’t have to tell him:smileywink:). It is hard to remove the base board moulding without breaking it and even if you succeed the trim will be filled with unusable nail holes and it could easily damage your walls. Luckily you don’t have to remove the base board when removing the carpet. Carpet is installed underneath the baseboard. The space between the tack strip, the wall, and the bottom of the trim is called the gully and it is where the edge of the carpet is tucked into after it is stretched and cut.

I would remove the carpet and then paint the trim. If you have more questions let us know. Take some pictures of the remodel so we can see the progress. Thanks.-Gregg

Posted 2011-01-06T14:35:55+0000  by gotogregg

Thanks, Greg.  I appreciate the help.  Makes it sound a lot easier!!

Posted 2011-01-08T16:22:10+0000  by Petfixr

Hello I will be removing old carpet in 3 rooms in my house. I've got that covered but my problem lies in that

I will be installing Bamboo flooring. I would like to know all the tools that I would need for this project.

Thanks,

Willis

Posted 2011-01-14T01:43:28+0000  by Willis

Hey there Willis!

Welcome to the community :)

Good to hear that you're ready to tackle the job, but the tools may vary a bit depending on what type of bamboo you opt to use. At The Home Depot, we sell it in all 3 varieties of Hardwood: Solid, Click, or Floating. Do you know which one you're looking to put down?

Regardless of the install type, you'll want to definitely make sure that you pick up at least 10% extra of the material itself, so that way you will have enough for waste, and enable you to "piece" the boxes.

For a glue-down installation, you'll want to get a tub of Urethane-based glue, much like this:

It will clearly be labeled for use with Bamboo floors, so make sure that you get the right kind. If you are using a product that you perhaps bought elsewhere, double check with the manufacturer on what type of adhesive to use, as variance may void your warranty.

If you are nailing, you will want to make sure that you either own or rent a flooring nailer and purchase the appropriate sized nails. It honestly varies with the thickness of your bamboo, so if you are shopping with us than be sure to let an associate know what size hardwood you're dealing with, and they can get you the appropriate nail size and spacer if needed.

You will also want a tongue & groove adhesive to use, remarkably, on the tongue and grooves. This is usually a PVA type glue, and can be found right next to the urethane floor adhesives at your local store.

Also make sure that you have the appropriate cutting tools such as a table or circular saw, preferably with a good amount of teeth to it for the cuts that you will need to make. Also any type of trim or reducer strips that you will be using. And also depending on the type of installation that you are doing, you will need a type of underlayment for underneath the floor. For a solid-type floor, typically Red Rosin or KRAFT paper is used as a vapor barrier, depends on who you speak with. If you are opting for the floating style, we carry two levels of padding that you can chose from depending on how much sound detonation you need from the floor.

Hopefully that at least gives you a start on it, and get's your brain going in the right direction. Please let us know about any specifics for the floor, like what type exactly you're looking at. We'll get you on the right track :)

Posted 2011-01-14T14:47:56+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hi dud, you want to remove old carpet in your room. you can use the carpet cutters and knife to cut the carpet. The cutting start from the corners and cut it into few inches and cut the carpet carfuly.

Posted 2011-10-13T06:06:59+0000  by jennifer20

Hey there jennifer20,

Welcome to the community!~

Thanks for the tips : ) Definitely worthy of a Nailed It.PNG Nailed it!

Have you been doing some carpet repair jobs lately?

Hope to see you around the community more sharing your expertise = D

Posted 2011-10-13T14:52:32+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+