Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Ceramic Tiles glued as border for a mirror.

Is it possible to glue ceramic tiles around the perimeter of a mirror to create a border? We have a huge mirror over our fireplace that could use some updating. Do not want to got thru the work of taking down the mirror. Do not like the glass tiles looking to really change the look of the area with some nice tiles.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-04T03:43:42+0000  by NoCape1 NoCape1

Decide if you want the tiles somewhat flush with the perimeter of the mirror or if you want it raised around the mirror. 

For a flush look......There's a product that's like heavy duty sticky tape and it's sold in sheets. It's made specifically for tile and is for light duty use. I can't remember the name of it, but I've seen it in the tile dept.  Your mirror project sounds appropriate for this.  It's probably less damaging to the drywall than trying to 'Gorilla Glue' or 'Liquid Nails' or thin set mud.

For a raised frame look.......You could build a wood frame and attach the tiles to the frame. This is actually what I'm about to do in my bathroom.

Posted 2013-09-04T13:01:16+0000  by 1AcreFarm

I found the adhesive paper information...

It's called SimpleMat.

Posted 2013-09-04T13:19:23+0000  by 1AcreFarm

Welcome to our community NoCape1!

This project has actually been done at a previous Do-It-Herself workshop and we have instructions available on-line. :smileyvery-happy:

Here are the step- by- step instructions for this project. :smileyhappy:

Please let us know if we can help again!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-09-04T18:28:04+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Thank you. Do we have to rough up the surface of the mirror for the Simple mat to stick? The ceramic tiles are a little heavy will the simplemat hold them?

Posted 2013-09-05T01:42:51+0000  by NoCape1

Hi Christine,

I saw the instructions in the project workshop, however I do not want to use the glass tiles, they are not the look I am looking for. Also the mirror is about 50 years old & per the instructions may not allow the adhesive to hold. Do you think Simplemat is a product that would work in my project?

Posted 2013-09-05T01:47:39+0000  by NoCape1

Congratulations on updating your mirror.  I have several concerns about your project:

1. The age of the mirror (50 years old) – what is the condition of the mirror?  Is the edge straight or beveled?
  2. The size and weight of the ceramic tiles – most ceramic tiles are thicker in depth and larger in size than the glass or mosaic tiles.  Their larger size may not be the best option for this project. 
  3. Using SimpleMat – you will need to grout to keep whichever tiles you choose in place

I like 1AcreFarm‘s idea to frame the mirror around the outside (not on top along the edge).  The weight of the tile would be supported by the wall, not the mirror.  Since the mirror is huge, you could use a larger ceramic tile (or sections from a sheet of 2x2) to keep the proper proportion and scale. 

Can you send a photo or let us know which tiles you are using so we can better advise you?  Thanks for joining The Community.

Eileen HD ATL.jpg

Posted 2013-09-11T21:23:59+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL
Hi nocape1,

SimpleMat is essentially double-stick tape in a larger sheet.

In our current offering, 3M has added 30-pound double stick tape that works for even heavy projects.

If you've been unable to support the weight with other materials, try using horizontal strips of 30-pound double stick tape spaced about 1/4-inch apart.

This tape is rated interior/exterior so it will withstand moisture and other elements that degrade interior only adhesives.

FINALLY:
Sika Ultimate Grab is an outstanding adhesive rated for most materials.

If all else fails, go to Sika.

Posted 2015-11-12T18:24:17+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+