Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Change color of appliance kitchen

How do I change or paint a refrigerator a color?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-26T19:01:55+0000  by gadgettr6 gadgettr6

Hello gagettr6!

Rust-Oleum Appliance paint comes in several colors ... black, white, almond, and silver; though not every store will have every color in stock.

The original label recommended cleaning your appliance with 000 steel wool and TSP.

Once the fresh water rinse dried, Rust-Oleum says to paint three light coats about 30-minutes apart.

NOTE:

When I've painted a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer it took about six cans to paint three sides and the top.

I recommend starting with at least six and you can always return unused cans.

Posted 2013-09-26T19:33:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Another option, if for whatever reasons spray paint isn't ideal (fumes, overspray issues, etc.) is to apply the rust-o-leum enamel from the can (not spray paint) with a small dense foam roller. If you've got a reasonably gentle touch and do it in the shade, you'll be surprised how nice it'll turn out.

You can even wet sand it in between coats for a flatter shinier surface, but since you mentioned that it's a rough surface, that's probably not necessary.

I did it on my old garage fridge 4 years ago and it still looks great.
Posted 2013-09-26T22:40:19+0000  by Dave-o

Another great project idea Dave-o!

The white foam roller is the smoothest paint applicator we sell.

The trick to any hand application is making long, flowing strokes and allowing the surface to dry for about six-hours without touching the wet paint ... if you see an imperfection, resist the urge to "fix" it.

Touching the wet surface will make noticeable snags in your finish.

Simply wait six-hours, lightly sand the imperfections with 000 steel wool or 220-grit sandpaper, wipe off the sanding dust, and apply your next coat.

NOTE:

Most stores only carry one color of appliance paint in the quart can, while they typically carry three or more colors in spray cans.

If you prefer another color, you can order online.

Posted 2013-10-01T14:10:35+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
This is the Almond version and you'll also find Black and White spray at The Paint Pit.

Posted 2015-12-15T23:08:35+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+