Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Cherry Tree looking very sick!

My cherry tree leaves started turning yellow, brown and dropping - looked like it needed water. 

Now I;ve noticed that the bark in the trunk is split in two places.  It is not oozing and there are no insects that I see but the tree has lost many more leaves.

I don't want to lose the tree.  Any suggestions what I can do to help it?

Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-31T23:51:20+0000  by need2know need2know

Hello need2know,

I have a few questions for you.

How old is your tree? If it over 2 years old you should be watering it 2 times deeply a month, separately from a lawn situation. It can get various diseases from being overwatered.. If you try to grow small plants by the base of the tree you will have the same problem, an older tree will crack and/or ooze if overwatered. Make sure that when you water, you water during the day, not at night, you can cause problems that way too. Use a spray designed for fruiting cherries this fall after the leaves fall off, it could help.

Hope this helps,

GardenGail

Posted 2012-09-01T00:02:58+0000  by Gail_HD_OC

Thnaks for the reply.

Tree is 14 years old.  If it was overwatered it's from the rain, not me,  It's now lost 50% of it leaves.  :(

There are no small plants near the base (except there is grass).

What type of spring for fruiting cheeries (the tree has never given any fruit) do I use?  (Sorry not familiair at all with that.)

Posted 2012-09-01T12:23:35+0000  by need2know

see my post above,  tree is looking much worse - this has all happened in less than two weeks.

the trunk of the tree looks very bad.  Is there anything I can do now?  Leaves are dropping alot...

Posted 2012-09-03T11:41:29+0000  by need2know

Hi need2know,

I definitely sounds like your cherry tree has some issues.    As far as the tree never fruiting, there are a couple of situations that will cause this.  The first one is lack of enough chill hours.  This is the amount of time that the temperature of the root system stays below 40⁰ F.  

Chill hour -unit-map3.gif

CHILL REQUIREMENTS
TYPE OF FRUIT CHILL HOURS

Almond 500-600
Apple 400-1000 (Low chill varieties are less)
Apricot 500-600
Japanese Pear 400-500
Blackberry 200-500
Blueberry (Northern) 800
Chestnut 400-500
Cherry 700-800
Citrus 0
Currant 800-1000
European Pear 600-800
European plum 800-900
Fig 100-200
Filbert 800
Gooseberry 800-1000
Grape 100+
Japanese Plum 300-500
Kiwi 600-800
Mulberry 400
Peach 600-800
Persimmon 200-400
Plum Cot 400
Pomegranate 100-200
Quince 300-500
Strawberry 200-300
Raspberries 700-800
Walnut 600-700

Chill hour requirements (Raintree Nursery)

If Mother Nature has been overwatering, there is not much we can do.  This is where proper planning when first planting our fruit tree comes into play.  Most fruit tree will do best in a sandy, well-drained soil.  The fruit trees will grow in other types of soil, but when it comes to drainage and there is not enough of it, a new host of problems crops up.  Too much water in the soil can starve the fruit tree of sufficient oxygen and lead to a root destroying fungus.    Termites can also play a significant role in the early demise of a favorite fruit as well.  They will attack any damaged or open area of the tree from underground and from above ground and slowly munch their way thru the tree. 

Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can use that will not render the tree unusable.  To be effective, anything that is used will have to be a systemic which will be absorbed by the tree.  These chemicals will then be in the system of the tree and thus in any fruit that might come onto the tree.  The fruit will be unusable. 

I am sorry but, it looks like it may be time to cut your losses and remove the tree.  

Posted 2012-09-04T21:21:07+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

The tree was planted by the builder 14 years ago.  I don't care that it doesn't bear fruit (actually I'm glad it doesn't ).  Are you saying there is no way to save the tree?

Posted 2012-09-05T21:04:08+0000  by need2know

Hi again need2know,

There is a drench from the Bayer Company that you can try.  Saving your cherry tree all depends on how far along the disease is.  As long as you realize that if any fruit appears on the tree, it will have to be removed as it will contain the chemicals of the drench.  In addition to the drench, you can also use another product called "SUPERthrive"  This is a plant growth hormone that can be used along with the drench.  This plant growth hormone is applied by the "drop" per gallon!  Do not over do it because too much of this growth hormone will kill your tree!  The best way to apply the SUPERthrive is with an eye dropper

Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub Care.jpgSuper thrive 4oz on card.jpg

Depending on your location, your tree may be going dormant soon so you may not see any results until spring.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying the Bayer Tree & Shrub and the SUPERthrive.

Best of luck with your cherry tree.  Keep us informed on how your tree is doing.  If you can, take some pictures now and then again late next spring to see if there has been any progress, that would be great.

This has been another of,

Posted 2012-09-07T16:40:51+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Thanks!  I have two cherry trees in my front year - it sick one and a healthy weeping cherry = they're very close to each other.  Should/can I do anythong preventative to the weeping cherry?

Posted 2012-09-07T21:37:41+0000  by need2know

Hi need2know,

The Bayer product is applied at the drip line of the tree.  When using a systemic near an edible fruit tree, there is always the risk of cross contamination with the systemic.  To be safe, do not eat the fruit off either tree.  It is important that the Bayer Tree and Shrub be applied at the drip line, which is where the feeder roots are located.  The feeder roots are responsible for absorbing water, nutrients and any drench type treatment that is being applied to the tree.

Drip Line 6 by RicksPicks.png

The drip line is that area where the branches end.  You can give the Weeping Cherry Tree the same preventative treatment.  Any fruit either tree produces will not be edible due to the systemic treatment from the Bayer Tree and Shrub.

I hope this helps.

Posted 2012-09-07T22:19:08+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Can I give the tree another of the bayer drench?  Leaves are completely gone.  The are other cherry trees in my nieghborhood that are looking pretty sick also.

The instructions on the bayer bottle says to apply the distance away of the circumference of the tree trunk.  Tree circumference is 26 inches.  Or should I apply at the drip line - don't know how a gallon of the solution would cover the drip line circumference.  Thanks!!

Posted 2012-09-26T15:10:04+0000  by need2know

Hi again need2know,

The drench is applied at the drip line for best results and can be applied once every 6 weeks.  The amount to apply is usually about 1oz per foot from the drip line of the tree.  I am concerned that other cherry trees in your neighborhood are experiencing the same problem.  This could be a sign of a disease.  If you have a local agricultural office near you, check with them to see if there have been any issues with cherry trees in your area.

The drench may help your tree but remember that any fruit the tree produces will need to be discarded.  Another thing to keep in mind, fall is the time when stone fruits start to lose their leaves and go dormant for the season.  

Best of luck with your cherry tree.

Posted 2012-09-28T17:48:18+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+