Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

Converting a TV cabinet/armoir to a bar

I have a tv cabinet that I want to convert to a bar.  I want to install one glass shelf into the unit.  But, the cabinet walls are only 3/4 of an inch thick and I am afraid that any bracket I would get would have screws that would be too long for the unit.  Can anyone offer any suggestions on a method I could use to install the shelving.  I plan on using tempered glass for the shelf.  I will only be placing glasses on this shelf. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-01-17T03:04:04+0000  by Madeeah Madeeah

Hey Madeeah,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Making a successful shelf will be determined by how well the brackets will hold into the cabinet, as well the weight being placed on it.

You can use basic L brackets alongside 5/8" screws so they don't go through the other side of the cabinet.

There's also another option of drilling holes where shelf clips can be inserted firmly into them. This means the hold needs to be same size of the clip, so the installation will last.

3 mm Diameter White Plastic and Metal Shelf Support Peg (8-Pack)

Since you have more than one option, you can decide which is the best and easiest for you. 

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Joseph

Posted 2015-01-21T20:13:18+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Joe's shelf clips are certain to make your bar well organized, Madeeah.

In addition, you might consider using inside cabinet lighting on the bottom of each shelf.

These lights help make access to glasses and bottles much easier.

But for me, the visual dimension these lights add is the real benefit ... you'll easily see the depth of the cabinet; creating a focal point for that room.

Posted 2015-08-20T17:54:03+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+