Sign In to join the community | Help
Gift Ideas

Cooking Watermelon Pizza on a Weber Charcoal Grill

When it comes to firing up the charcoal (or propane) grill, watermelon isn't exactly the very first thing that comes to mind for cooking. However, giving it a little sear and placing some amazing toppings on it gives you a great warm weather treat.

In this post, I have a great recipe and how-to enjoy this surprisingly delicious and simple appetizer.

Once you cook it, in fact, you may want seconds!

For my own concoction, I used my trusty old Weber 22 Inch Original Kettle Charcoal Grill.

Of course, you can grill this and any of your favorites on your own grill or stovetop, but a watermelon to me is best cooked in the great outdoors over charcoal.

Let's get started on making this tasty treat:

Ingredients

1- Medium sized watermelon

1 cup sliced red onion

1 ounce feta cheese

2 tablespoons of crushed candied or toasted pecans

2 tablespoons of basil leaves (diced or whole)

1/4 teaspoon of salt

1/2 cup of red wine vinegar

olive oil

balsamic

STEP 1: Preparing all the Ingredients

This is more than just watermelon; the 'toppings' will require you to do a bit of preparation before hand. Below is an image of almost everything you need to make your very own watermelon pizza.

The biggest preparation is ensuring the onions are sliced thin and marinated in the red wine vinegar first. Place the salt (you can add the same amount of sugar if needed) in with the onions and set in a container for overnight for 'pickling'.

It's up to you, but you can place the watermelon in the refrigerator beforehand, or leave it room temperature before grilling.

For the pecans, you may have to chop them finer or hammer them so that the portions are smaller to eat on the pizza.

STEP 2: Cutting and Preparing the Watermelon

Have a sharp kitchen knife and cut a section of the watermelon in a 1-1/2" thick sliced section. Then, cut out the sections to determine how many slices you want to grill.

Best of all, you'll have leftovers for future snacks and other grilled pizza! In this post, I'll be using only 4 slices for the appetizer.

Next, you'll lightly brush on the olive oil for the grill.

STEP 3: Grilling the Watermelon

Once the charcoal grill is fired up and has high heat, you are ready to place the slices on it.

Let the slices cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, making sure the sear marks are clearly visible on the each side.

Step 4: Applying the Pizza Toppings

After the watermelon slices have been taken off the grill and cooled for a few minutes, then you can apply the toppings, starting with the pecans and then the onions.

Next, apply the basil, feta cheese, and then splash on the balsamic vinaigrette for added taste.

Now you have a grilled watermelon pizza ready to serve!

With most grilling adventures, I paired my pizza with some veggies to make a light grill meal that was quite satisfying.

As with any watermelon recipe like this, you can opt for a variety of other toppings, like bleu cheese instead of feta, to using lime juice instead of balsamic.

There are other recipes online, so be sure to have fun and see which one works best for you. As for myself, this is a dish best served all this summer at my house!

For this and any other Weber grilling recipes, please do not hesitate to ask here.

Joseph

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-05-25T20:05:41+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Now How to share the melon among others

Posted 2020-09-17T09:24:05+0000  by Manohar

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+