Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Cover large space between concrete floor and drywall

Hello, 

I have a standard 2 car garage. On two walls, the space between the drywall and concrete floor ranges from 4-5.25 inches. I am looking for ways to cover this space. I intend to paint this later. 

The obvious ideas is PVC baseboards. The gap is a lot. Also, the drywall sticks out of the inner structure in the gap (maybe called stem wall, not sure). 

Any ideas? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-10-28T23:03:12+0000  by NewbieDIYer NewbieDIYer

Because that space was never intended to be finished you are going to find quite a bit of a challenge to make it look even half decent.  Frankly, I think you’d be best off just learning to live with it and putting your energy and money into something else.
Posted 2019-10-29T13:44:34+0000  by Adam444
Thank you Adam444
Posted 2019-10-29T17:53:54+0000  by NewbieDIYer
I don’t want you to think that I’m ignoring you problem but I’ve given it a bit of thought and I really can’t come up with an easy way to fix it.  The best I can come up with is to take sheet PVC, rip it into strips, and glue it together to make an inverted L.  The long leg of the L would be slightly taller than the distance between the garage floor and the highest part of the drywall above the foundation wall.  The short leg would be slightly longer than the distance of greatest deviation between the face of the foundation and the drywall that sits furthest back from the foundation.  Or I guess you could add a strip to the back of a piece of baseboard moulding, assuming you can find one tall enough (generally about 5 1/4”).  Normally from there you draw a straight line on the floor some arbitrary distance from the foundation and draw a scribe line and cut away the excess material.

The next question is how to attach this “moulding”.  Obviously it can’t be nailed.  Adhesive, possibly but how do you hold it in place while the adhesive sets up?  Concrete screws (aka, Tapcons) would work but you’re going to have a big hole in the moulding to fill and you’re going to need a hammer drill to drill the holes for the screws.

And all of this presumes that the foundation is relative straight and flat.  If you have to get into grinding concrete you’re going to need a grinder, any number of wheels, eye protection, hearing protection, respiratory protection, and a HEPA vacuum because concrete contains silica, something you don’t want to inhale.

As I said, this is probably a LOT more work than it would be worth.

Posted 2019-10-30T12:45:46+0000  by Adam444

Greetings NewbieDIYer,

I think that you should go for a finished look, it seems that you have spent many hours sheet rocking the walls and intend to paint the walls, why no put some effort into the finishing touches!

I have found a pretty decent width base board with a laminated finish it is a bit wider than 5 inches an does not need to be painted. You could attach the baseboard to the sheet rock with an epoxy that also has a watertight sealant.

If you prefer to attach it the cement base that can be accomplished to with an adhesive specifically  for stone and concrete, so many different surfaces. If attaching the baseboard molding to the concrete leaves a gap from the wall why not seal the deal with a pvc quarter round to top off the trim package.

The only way your will see the finished project is to give it a try, stop by your local Home Depot and check out all the PVC and laminate baseboards, shop all the exterior trim, and the primed finger jointed pine, anything is possible with all the components to create a baseboard with the primed pine Remember you can always trim the gap at the top of the baseboard that you create, with a half or quarter round just fill any gap and seams to complete the project.

Pick up a few pieces, save your receipt and stage the baseboard to see if it is something that you like and want to take the time and money to finish the job.

Good luck, great job!

Maureen

Posted 2019-10-31T14:09:46+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hello Maureen, Thank you for your response. I was hoping to use something that was not wood in garage to avoid water damage. Before posting this I went to my nearest HD and they did not have any suggestions for me mainly because of the gap size and non-wood material.

I will follow up again with them with your suggestions. In the mean time, if you think of PVC based, do let me know. 

P.S.: I don't get notifications for replies on my thread. Hence, the delay in replying. 
Posted 2019-10-31T19:48:09+0000  by NewbieDIYer
Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to produce a superb article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never manage to get anything done.
Posted 2019-11-08T04:16:38+0000  by wheagat

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+