Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Cracking spackle

I recently did a repair in my bathroom and had to put in a small piece of drywall.  I taped over it, then spackled with the pink stuff that turns white when it dries.  I did 3 or so layers, but gave each coat a couple of days to dry, and then I sanded it and went over with another thin coat.  The first coat was kind of thick, but it was fully white.  It looked great and smooth when done, till I went to go prime it, then the spackle started to bubble and crack and peel off.  I had this happen once and I thought I had old spackle, but now it's done it again after I cleaned all of the previous off and re did the whole process.  What can I do to fix this and prevent it in the future.  I made sure the area was clear of dust before each coat of spackle and paint.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-10-05T19:10:27+0000  by wind wind

Spackle is really meant for patching small areas like nail holes or dings and isn't meant to be used with tape.  The product you wanted to use is joint compound (sometimes called "mud").  It comes in two forms - pre-mixed in buckets (typically 5 and 1 gallon) and dry in bags that are mixed with water.  Even a one gallon bucket is a lot more most homeowners are ever going to use before it goes bad, so I would suggest the dry stuff.  Kept dry, it will stay usable for years.

Basically mix it with a little water until it reaches the consistency of peanut butter, let it sit for about 5 minutes, give it a stir, and add a few drops of water if necessary.

The dry compound is properly called a "setting-type" compound which is a fancy of way of saying it hardens via a chemical reaction.  You'll see on the bags numbers like 10,20,45 which indicates the "working" time of the product once mixed.  My personal experience is that the working time is generally less that.  For general household projects, I would suggest no less than a 45 and even a 90.  At the end of the open time any leftover material becomes trash so just mix up small quantities.
Posted 2018-10-05T22:18:03+0000  by Adam444

I would agree with Adam. During my contracting days, I only used "hot mud" for "spackling", mainly, because in cold Chicago, all the pre-mixed spackling compounds would freeze in the truck overnight. I just mixed hot mud as needed.

Because the product dries chemically, it doesn't matter how deep the patch, it sets in the appointed time. It is much more resistant to shrinking and cracking than drywall compound, and I find that it has better adhesion than most other patching products, especially where it makes the transition to the old surface where it gets quite thin.

Hot mud sands nicely, however, there is a "set" time and a dry time. It sets hard in the appointed time, but until all the water has evaporated, it clogs your sandpaper. Once dry, it dusts up like normal drywall compound.

Hot mud is used mostly by drywallers who have to get in and out of a room in a single day and cannot be waiting around several hours between coats of mud. Often they will use topping compound for the final coat because of its ease of sanding. Athin coat of topping compound dries quickly.
Posted 2018-10-06T05:51:03+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+