Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Crafting Novice Wanting to Create Wall Art

I have a huge collection of mini altoids tins.  My plan is to turn them into wall art (see image).  Here are the supplies I need:
(1)  A board to act as my base.  The altoids tins will be glued to the front of this board.
(2)  Four framing wood pieces to go around the edges.  These will also be glued to the front of the board.
(3)  Silver paint.  I want to paint the board and framing pieces this color.
(4)  Glue to glue framing wood and altoids tins to base board.
(5)  Clear paint.  I want to paint clear paint over the altoids tins to give them a shine + help hold them in place.

I have *very little* crafting experience.  What recommendations do you have for (1) - (5)?  What type of wood should I get?  What type of paint?  What type of glue?  Will I have to worry about the wood warping from the paint / glue?  Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-05-28T00:29:06+0000  by Anna33187 Anna33187

Hello Anna331187,

Welcome to the community.

That’s going to be a really fun project to make and a very cool piece of art to hang on the wall when you’re done. If you used a resin and filled in all of the voids in between the tins you could make it into a really cool table top.

Can I say that’s a lot of Altoids tins. It must have taken you a long time to gather that many.

I love when people up cycle things that would normally end up in the trash. I’ve used a few Altoids tins for small parts in my tool box but that amount is crazy.

OK so let’s get started.

I would use ½” plywood for the back. Make sure you get a good sheet of plywood so it won’t warp on you. The cheaper plywood normally warps. I normally use birch plywood for my project since it tends to stay really straight. It’s a little more money sometimes but when I do a project that I want to stay nice it’s worth it.  

The outer framing I would use a solid wood like pine or alder. It normally looks better if you attach the outer trim to the edges instead of setting them on top. When you set them on top you can see the edge of the plywood. All you need to do is cut to size and then glue and nail them to the plywood. If you cut the corners at a 45 degree angle you will not see any of the end grain so will look better.

Water base paint is a lot easier to clean so I normally use that. For projects like yours it works great. Make sure that the paint has cured completely before you start to glue the tins on. If the paint is not completely dried the adhesive will not adhere properly.

I would use wood glue and finish nails to attach the trim. Then use Heavy Duty Liquid Nails to attach the tins to the board.  

Here is a link to a clear paint that I think would work out well for you.

Don’t worry about the paint or glue warping the wood it will work out great.

It sounds like you have it figured out pretty well already. I did add in a couple of woodworking hints that will help you along the way and make the final project look a bit better. Other than that I think you’re on the right track.

Please post some pictures of your project once you’re done. I would LOVE to see it.

Thanks again for joining the how-to community.

I can’t wait to see it!

Posted 2014-05-28T19:19:18+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Thanks for the awesome and very detailed advice!  This is EXACTLY what I needed!  You rock!
Posted 2014-05-29T23:16:49+0000  by Anna33187

You are so welcome Anna33187.

I'm so glad I could help you out on your very cool project.

I would LOVE to see this project once its complete. 

Please post a picture here on the community so we can all appreciate your hard work.

Happy crafting..
Posted 2014-05-30T17:17:57+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Hey anna33187,

Since you wrote The Community for assistance, we have added several very strong construction adhesives to our offering.

Instead of Liquid Nails, you might try:

1) Loctite 8X Construction Adhesive; or

2) Sika Ultimate Grab.

Either will adhere well to most craft or construction materials and maintain a long-lasting bond.

Pat InPaint
Posted 2015-11-12T19:30:37+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+