Sign In to join the community | Help

Cutting and Threading Rigid Metal Conduit

Is Home Depot able to cut and thread rigid metal conduit?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-11-12T13:24:30+0000  by awilhite awilhite
RMC uses the same threads (NPT) as iron water pipe so in theory they could be cut on the same machine, but convincing someone to do it might be another thing.  I would suggest asking at your local store.
Posted 2020-11-13T11:51:28+0000  by Adam444

As Adam444 stated, it is possible to thread the Rigid conduit, but be aware that if you do get a Plumbing associate that knows how to work the pipe cutting machine at your local store, be mindful that you'll only get outside threads if done carefully and properly. 

There are threaded fittings (not EMT) made specifically for Rigid that would be easier to contend with versus a freshly threaded cut of conduit. Personally, I would go this route, since you can still get your cut you need, but you could keep any connections done via the thread done on the machine kept to a minimum. 

Hopefully, you'd need just a few connections, so this shouldn't be a huge issue. 

Posted 2020-11-13T22:03:48+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

RMC goes together like iron water pipe - with couplings.  The odd part is that the thread on the conduit is tapered (like water pipe) and the thread on the couplings is straight.  I'm not really sure why it's like that but it is.

So RMC needs to be cut and threaded just like iron water pipe.  For the average homeowner there isn't a lot of need for RMC.  It needs to be used outdoors and underground and is most commonly seen for meter drops.
Posted 2020-11-15T18:19:28+0000  by Adam444
As stated in the question, I was asking specifically about cutting and threading Rigid Metal Conduit (RMC) used for buried electrical work -- not EMT. In my case, I need a few pieces of RMC cut and threaded to specific lengths that are not the default 10ft section. It sounds like I can have an associate cut and thread the RMC just like they would for galvanized water pipe and black iron gas pipe.
Posted 2020-11-16T16:27:48+0000  by awilhite
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question