Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Garden Club

DIY Garden Enclosure

Hello,

Has anybody built that DIY Garden Enclosure?  It has instructions for 8' X 8' but I was wanting to build mine bigger, like 12' x 8'.  Are those instructions available for a larger size or can anybody give any pointers.  Perhaps someone has built one that has some insight? 

Also, does it have to be out of untreated cedar?  I'm interested in opinions on this, as I've read conflicting information on whether treated wood is ok for a vegetable garden. 

Thank You,

Dave

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-03-22T19:54:44+0000  by DaveHunke DaveHunke

Greetings DaveHunke,

First things first…. do not treat wood that will be used for any edible garden enclosure; red western cedar has innate properties to resist moisture and rot, that is the best choice for a long lasting wood to construct garden structures.

I am sorry, I do not have experience with building a garden structure, are you questioning a full-enclosed greenhouse type structure or a series of raised beds?

You mentioned plans for an, 8x8, enclosure can you contact the source of the plans for advice on altering the size?

I am envious of your project, think of all that planting space! It will be great once you get all the details ironed out!

We would love to see some pictures of your project, check out this kit offered by Home Depot. The structure is only 8x8, maybe you could build two separate structures, and it is all red cedar too!

This kit is a 8X12, if you are looking for a deer proof raised bed with sides?

Good luck,

Maureen

Posted 2019-03-28T14:09:31+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Ha ha Maureen, Dave IS asking the source of the plans :D  The DIY Garden Enclosure is a Garden Club Project here: http://gardenclub.homedepot.com/garden-enclosure/

It's linked in one of the newer articles the garden club has texted out this week. I was actually coming here to ask the same question and to see if anyone had worked out specs for a larger one. 

Any ideas on altering the size of the garden enclosure listed at the HD Garden Club project page? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted 2019-03-29T18:33:49+0000  by BlackjackWidow

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+