Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Seasonal & Holiday

DIY Summer Sea Side Wreath

Capture the all essence of the ocean and bring them right to your door! Create this seasonal wreath with a few simple ingredients: Sea glass, star fish, grape vine wreath, moss, dried baby’s breath, sea shells, craft wire, floral wire, and ribbon. 

Tools needed are:  hot glue gun, tape measure, scissors,

Step 1: Start by selecting and staging the shells in three groups along the bottom of the wreath, just to get an idea of the spacing. This step is also allows you to determine if you should hot glue small shells inside, or onto larger shells for a pretty layering of shells effect.

Step 2: Cut the silver craft wire, with scissors, into pieces at the lengths  of approximately 18-24 inches long,  wrap it around the pieces of sea glass (almost like wrapping a package, in an abstract way), so that the wire crisscrosses in the back, leaving about  6-8 inches of a tail that will allow you to attach the glass to the wreath. Wrap at least 15-18 pieces of glass.

Step 3: Wire up the center of the star fish, crisscrossing the wire just like on the glass leaving wire tails; you will also attach the starfish with hot glue, the wire will just ensure that the center is attached.

Wrap any excess lengths of wire around a pen and form a coil, then press spiraled wire into place. 

Step 4: Once you are pleased with the staging of the shells, attach the shells with the hot glue. I like to start in the center of the bottom of the wreath and go up on either side from there, so it appears that the wreath is, somewhat evenly, but randomly arranged. Allow the glue to cool, and thoroughly dry. 

Step 5: Place the sea glass and run the wire through the grapevine wreath, twist and secure wire through the back of the wreath, now attach the star.

Step 6: Create a large bow using the ribbons and the floral wire, leaving along wire tail. Wire the bow through the top center of wreath.

Want instructions on how to create the perfect bow? Watch this video!

Step 7: Hang your wreath on the front door, in the office, or in your kitchen….hang the wreath anywhere you want the feel of summer and a touch of the ocean!

I hung this wreath on the inside of my kitchen door; it makes me think of being at the coast, I can almost smell the salt air and hear the waves, while I make my morning coffee!

Starfish, seashells,sand dollars, and tumbled sea glass, are all tiny treasures and keepsakes from the shore; put all of those mementos together for the perfect summertime wreath!

Enjoy all the days of summer,

Maureen 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-06-30T14:39:48+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Very cute idea!
Posted 2016-07-02T13:16:31+0000  by Grow2girl

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+