Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Outdoor Living

Deck

I saw the video on building a deck, I understand all that is needed for an 8'x 10'.  It calls for 6 footings for this size deck; my question is:

If I want to build an 8'x20' deck, how many more footings would I need?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-19T20:45:02+0000  by Saturn Saturn

The number of footings is going to be a function of the construction of the deck.  Lumber, say,  2x8 pressure treated pine can only span a certain distance.  Up that to, say, a 2x10 and a greater distance can be spanned.  So the number and placement of footings is part of the larger design of the deck.   Those footings also need to a certain diameter and go down at least a set number inches which will depend on where you live in the county and local soil conditions.

I don't work for Home Depot but I believe stores offer a deck design service that will give you plans and a materials list.  Understand that plans aren't an instruction sheet, you'll still need to have the necessary skills (or hire someone that does) to build the deck.  Your local municipality will also likely require a building permit and inspections.
Posted 2017-09-20T00:49:43+0000  by Adam444
Hi Saturn,

Home Depot offers a free deck design program, you will have to download the software. 
The link is below.

http://thd-diy-ca.bhuat.com/CqDesignStartNeo/#deck

Once your design is complete, you will still need approval from your local building department and a building permit prior to starting the project.

Mike

Posted 2017-09-21T19:30:14+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+