Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Customers Show Off

Diagonal shelves from commercial

Just wanted to show you our version of the shelves. Its an easy build if you have all the measurements accurate. This was our first wood project ever. My wife is very happy with them.shelf.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-11T15:37:32+0000  by hsaenz12 hsaenz12

Outstanding hsaenz12!

It is easy to see why your wife is pleased!

When you're ready to finish that wood, come on back if you need suggestions.

This is what DIY is all about!

Posted 2011-10-11T16:49:55+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello hsaenz12,

Welcome to the community.

That is a great wall unit. I love how you added the additional shelving on the bottom.

Thank you for sharing pictures of your project. I love seeing a project come together. I can't wait to see the finished project. Please post some follow up pictures once you have completed it.

Like Pat said come back to the community if you have any questions or if you just want to get some ideas for the finishing process. There are a lot of very creative people on this community.

Great job on the wall unit ! !

Thanks again for sharing.:smileyvery-happy:

Posted 2011-10-12T15:37:26+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Thank you for the comments. I can't wait for the weekend to come around to continue working on it.

Any suggestions on how I should bolt everything together... screws, tenons, brads.

My plan was to use drywall screws for the horizontal boards and lower vertical supports and brad nails for the diagonal boards.

Posted 2011-10-12T17:29:08+0000  by hsaenz12

Hello Again Hsaenz!

A handy tool for your application is a brad nailer.

These tools take several different size brads and will make quick work of binding the shelves in place.

Tool Rental will have this type tool for half-day rental.

Posted 2011-10-13T13:56:13+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Finished!

IMAG0162.jpg

Posted 2011-11-03T16:29:38+0000  by hsaenz12

hsaenz12,

That looks fantastic! = D

Thanks for sharing the picture with us all! Quite the craftsmanship for your first wood project...very worthy of a Nailed It! Nailed It.PNG

I'm curious though...what did you use to finish it? Is that an espresso paint or stain that you opted for? Either way, it looks amazing!

Posted 2011-11-03T17:16:25+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!

I love the functionality, but I really love the contrast with the wall color ... and the way you pick up the color of the hardwood floors ... excellent!

You've got that DIY thing on a string!

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Posted 2011-11-03T17:19:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

That's looks fabulous!

From a woodworkers perspective, making something yourself not only gives you that everyday self-gratification when you walk past it, and it also gives you total control, determining the height, width, color and making allowances for the outlet below.

Bravo hsaenz12, keep the projects coming!

Posted 2011-11-03T17:47:44+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Thank you for the comments. 

I stained it with Minwax ebony stain and a polyurethane finish.

The photo is very forgiving, It's nowhere near perfect but I did learn a lot. Ready for my next project.

Posted 2011-11-03T17:51:15+0000  by hsaenz12

Wow that looks awesome. You did a great job.

Are you going to make the bottom shelves that you showed in the previous picture adjustable?

I also wanted to make a suggestion about adding either an earthquake strap or a couple of brackets to keep it to the wall in the case of an earthquake or any other mishap. I would hate to have it along with everything on it come tumbling down. :smileysad:

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful shelving unit with us. I can't wait to see your next project.

Be careful woodworking is very addicting. I got addicted way back in Middle School and have been doing it ever since.

It's a very rewarding hobby. Have fun and be safe. :smileyvery-happy: 

Posted 2011-11-04T21:06:32+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+