Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Direct Wire vs Plug In Microwave

I am trying to determine which convection microwave oven to order.  Bosch has two versions of the same oven: HMC80252 and the HMC80152, which are almost identical in their specs.

The '252' is direct wired and the '152' is plug in. The direct wire is 240V / 3840W and the plug in is 120V / 1920W. There is a big difference in the power they draw and my question is what difference is there on the cooking ability or performance?

I have a 120V plug in the spot it is going, but if the performance difference is significant I may investigate running a new wire and circuit to direct wire; but I would rather not if there isn't a performance difference.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-03-12T17:46:30+0000  by TMac44 TMac44

Hello TMac44.  Welcome to the Community!

The two units are the same in features and performance.  The direct wire model will use one "leg" of the pair of power wires for most of its draw.  The remaining leg will supply less power, but both must be equally capable.  That is why the 240 volt unit is rated at 16 amps per leg while the single leg 120 volt unit is rated at 20 amps total.

In reality your home circuit needs to be either:

a 120 volt, 20 amp circuit with a NEMA 5-20 recepticle.  This will need a minimum of 3 12 gauge wires.  (or)

a 240 volt, 20 amp circuit with 4 12 gauge wires terminating in a junction box near the unit so you can direct wire it.

I see no reason for you to purchase the 240 volt unit, but please check to see that the outlet you will use has a 20 amp recepticle and breaker.  U.S. codes require this in kitchens, but Canada may not.

The plug will have blades orientated like this:

Chris.

Posted 2019-03-12T19:18:15+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+