Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Discoloration on tile of bathroom floor

Hi - Recently I've noticed some tile discoloration on our bathroom floor outside our shower. I've attached a picture. Any idea what could cause this? Also what kind of a contractor do I call?

Thanks
DL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-05-20T12:38:00+0000  by douglemons douglemons

Hi Dl,

Mineral deposits from the water and over spray from cleaning agents can discolor tile.

A through cleaning often helps, however the cleaning procedure depends upon the type of tile you have.

Natural stone requires a different cleaning technique than ceramic tile.

Please resend your picture and let me know what kind of tile it is .

Thanks,

Mike,
Posted 2014-05-20T19:01:07+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Posted 2014-05-20T19:07:07+0000  by douglemons
Hey Mike - Thanks for the response. Picture is inserted. Could it be leaking from the shower glass?
Posted 2014-05-20T19:08:05+0000  by douglemons
Hi Di,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

Yes, I believe it is indeed a leak at the base of the shower enclosure.

The next time you use the shower take a hair dryer and dry up the spot, then after you shower take a look.

If is wet in the same spot, then the shower enclosure is leaking. The spray from the shower head is probably
hitting that spot and the water is seeping out.

A little silicone sealer on the inside along the base should solve the problem.

Mike,
Posted 2014-06-30T16:42:05+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Were you able to get a resolution to this? I'm dealing with the exact same problem in my bathroom.

Posted 2015-03-02T15:04:59+0000  by shaunharris
Hey douglemons and shaunharris,

Do either of you have a dog that sleeps on that tile to stay cool?

My yellow lab makes a similar spot on the grout.

The natural oil in his coat embeds and can only be removed with Non-Acidic Grout Cleaner.

After you remove the spot, take time to seal the grout with TileLab Gloss Sealer.

NOTE:
Acidic grout cleaner is much stronger, but is not recommended for marble, stone, Corian, or metal.
Posted 2015-11-05T20:14:29+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+