Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Display door

I bought a display exterior door with 3/4 glass. Can I install it either way in my door jamb? Or how do I know if it is left or right hand?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-02-12T16:04:31+0000  by deconnor deconnor

Hi deconner,

Doors are designed for specific applications, inswing or outswing, left hand or right hand orientation. Standing outside your present door, if the hinges are visible then its an outswing door, in the hinges are not visible then it an inswing door. If the hinges are on the right it is a right hand swing  and if they are on the left it is a left hand swing.

If you want the change from the current orientation the you will have to change out the door jamb to the desired hand and swing.

Door Swing Chart

Some wooden jambs can be modified by repositioning the hinges and moving the stop if it is a separate piece of wood, however replacing the jamb is the prefered option. If your a good carpenter the door jamb can be removed and reversed to change the swing , however this requires careful work to avoid damaging the jamb. Most replacement doors are pre hung and include the jamb, thus replacing the door is very easy.

Mike

Posted 2018-02-12T18:39:19+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hello deconner, and welcome to the Community!

Mike is right and makes some good points, also if you purchased the door slab, meaning the door only with no frame, and you mentioned you have glass, the side with screws around perimeter of the glass frame would be the inside, otherwise someone could unscrew the glass frame and pop out the glass, not to mention the weather seal is on the opposite side of the screws. 

Angelo
Posted 2018-02-15T13:38:49+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+