Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Door closing & latching without using door closer

The entry door from the garage, already has a spring loaded hinge and it closes. But the issue is, it shuts very hard. I tried to adjust it, and now it almost goes to the closing position but does not latch.

I did notice at my friends house, his builder also installed the spring hinges, very similar looking to mine, bit his door closes slow, and latches too, much similar to a door closer.

What can I do to get my door to not do a loud shut, but do a slow close, and still latch. Please help.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-02-08T20:57:49+0000  by somubtech somubtech

Those spring hinges can be a little fussy to adjust, which is why commercial doors use an actual closer.  You can keep trying to adjust them, maybe try another pair, or just replace them with regular hinges.  The building code requires a self-closing door between the living space and garage to keep fumes out and slow the spread of fire.  You can decide for yourself what the potential is for anything "bad" happening.  
Posted 2019-02-09T10:36:52+0000  by Adam444
Hi soumbtech,

Spring hinges are a pain in the _______! I have used them and had mixed results to say the least. Buy and install a door closer. They are easier to adjust, reliable and can be locked in the open position when necessary to move items in or out of the garage without the door hitting you in the backside every time you go through it. Your problem will be solved and you can move on the other more important projects.

Mike
Posted 2019-02-11T22:24:24+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+