Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Double door to single door.

Hello,

Currently my front door is two 32 inch doors that fill a 58 inch space.  I want to downsize to one door(32 inches).  Is using sidelites the best way to accomplish this or is there another option I should consider?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-09-05T19:03:11+0000  by Wash Wash

HI Wash,

Replacing your double doors can be done, however most single door sidelite combinations are 60 -63 inch wide. This will require modification of your opening. You might consider a door with a single sidelite, these are available in widths as small as 50.5 inches. We can also order a custom door to fit your opening, however this would be the most expensive option. Visit your local Home Depot store and the millworks associates can show you all the available combinations.

Mike
Posted 2019-09-05T19:23:47+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Your best bet is to pull the interior trim and measure the rough opening.  From there, Home Depot or any other door retailer can find a door that will fit.

I would strongly suggest that you not use a 32” door and I’m not sure that the building code even allows it.  A 36” main entry door makes moving furniture or appliances so much easier.  
Posted 2019-09-05T23:06:50+0000  by Adam444
Hi Wash, and welcome to the Community!

What Mike and Adam said are true, I work in the Doors & Windows department and I see customers all the time wanting to do the same thing. I one thing you need to decide on is which way do you want the door to swing, you can keep the current left hand inswing, or depending on your interior layout, you may decide to switch to a right hand inswing (opposite of what you have now). Most of not all people that have converted from a double door to a single door have gone with a 36 inch door along with the sidelites, as Adam mentioned, for obvious reasons. The sidelites can be 10 inch, 12, or 14 inch, it really depends on the manufacture of the door, not everyone makes all sizes, the better companies usually have a larger variety, and in some cases oversized sidelites will end up being just privacy glass, but there are several options available. 

~Angelo
Posted 2019-09-11T12:34:12+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+