Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Drill question for non- contractor

HI, i am looking to buy a new cordless drill.. I guess it would be a compact drill/driver 
I am a home owner, not a contractor. Looking for a good solid general all purpose drill that I can use for all different things

I saw this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-2-20-Volt-Batteries-1-3Ah-Charger-and-Tool-Bag-DCD771C2/204279858

A Dewalt 20 v-- would this be a good drill for a non contractor?? I also saw a Milwaukee m18, and others.

I wanted to add- this drill is not a brushless- its it a good idea to buy a brushless?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-02-09T16:49:34+0000  by Boris123 Boris123

Just a little background to tool manufacturers:

• Stanley Black and Decker makes (in increasing order of quality): Black & Decker, Porter-Cable, Craftsman (sold at Lowe's), and DeWalt
  • Techtronic Industries makes (in increasing order of quality): Ryobi, Ridgid (marketed as AEG in the rest of the world), and Milwaukee.
  • Bosch makes Bosch
  • Makita makes Makita
  • Hitachi makes Hitachi and Metabo (a German company they bought a couple of years ago)
  • Chevron (Hong Kong, not the oil company) makes Skil and many of Lowe's Kobalt tools.

With that said, most would generally consider DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, and Skilsaw (just the worm drive saws) as "professional" grade tools.  "Brushless" motors generally increase power and battery life because they are more efficient.

For the average homeowner (and many in the trades), looking for a drill/driver/impact combination set I would recommend a 12 volt platform.  The tools are lighter, more compact, offer plenty of power, and typically cost less than their 18 volt siblings.  I have Milwaukee 12v impact and absolutely love it.  If it was lost or stolen I would buy another one in a heartbeat.  For a drill/drive/impact combo I would recommend:

1. Milwaukee M12 Fuel ("fuel" is Milwaukee's marketing lingo for brushless)  #2594-22.  $206 (Home Depot)
  2. Bosch 12v Max #CLPK22-120 $169 (Lowe's) 
  3. Milwaukee M12 # 2494-22 $129 (Home Depot) 
  4. Makita 12v Max CXT #CT226RX $149 (Home Depot)
  5. DeWalt 12v Max #DCK211S2  $141 (Home Depot)

Posted 2019-02-09T23:59:28+0000  by Adam444
Hi Boris123,

Adam444 gave you a good rundown on whats available in cordless power tools. I personally use a Dewalt 20 volt max brushless combo kit. This kit includes two 1.5 amp hour batteries, which work fine for me and in most cases will last all day on a single charge for most projects. 

The 1.5 amp hour battery is smaller and lighter than the 2.0 amp hour battery and makes the tool lighter and easier to handle, with about the same weight as the 12 volt model Adam444 recommended. The combo kits are a good choice as they include a driver drill and an impact driver for less than the individual tool kits.

Mike
Posted 2019-02-11T21:06:31+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Here are a few things to consider when picking the best cordless drill:

1. The capacity of chuck jaws (how large of a drill bit the drill can hold) - on most of the drills have a max of 3/8 inches but some 14 and 18 volt drills can handle 1/2 inch diameter bits
  2. Look for a drill that has a high/low speed range that will allow for both high settings (for drilling) and low setting (for driving screws)
  3. Some drills also offer two batteries so that you can set one to charge while you use the other one and switch them out for long tasks
  4. You should be able to use the forward and reverse switch with ease using both your thumb and trigger finger
  5. Pick a drill with a good grip, it's best to test these out in store rather than online

Posted 2019-02-14T08:49:53+0000  by jasonabalos

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+