Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Seasonal & Holiday

Easy Seasonal Wall Lanterns

The changing seasons and the onset of the holidays bring out the decorator in me. Creating an inviting, festive place for family and friends to gather and enjoy each other’s company is an enjoyable mission of mine; but all of the decorating has to be easy and simple totally stress free decorating.

Battery powered tea lights add just a bit of flicker without worry, the flameless candles can easily illuminate any spot with a touch of mystical whimsy.

With a few simple components you can create mason jar lanterns that will transition through all of the holiday happenings to come!

Stop by your local Home Depot, pick up few things:

Materials:

1x5x6 pine board, have it cut by a lumber associate into (2) 1 foot pieces, (you can save the leftover for another project, or make a few more lanterns)

2-handrail brackets, spool of jute twine, glue, river pebbles, sample size Swiss Coffee paint, paint brush, sanding sponge,spider web (from the Halloween décor section), battery powered tea lights, saw tooth picture hanging brackets, small twigs (from outdoors), from a local craft store mason jars, a few small, plastic, spiders.

Tools needed: small hammer, screw driver

Step 1: Sand all rough edges of the board, then paint the board and allow to thoroughly dry.

Step 2: Apply a coat of glue to the lid rim, wrap the twine around, cover the entire rim edge, let dry. Paint the lid insert and also let dry.

Step 3: While everything is drying, fill the bottom of jar with river pebbles, place a candle in the center, add a few more stones around the edge.

Step 4: Pull a small bit of web from bag and twist through the small branches. Place the webbed twigs into jar, add a few spiders they will just hang onto the webs….eeek!

Step 5:  Cut four pieces of twine at 18 inches each, run two pieces under the lid insert, then screw lid in place, pull up the ends and make a knot, do the same to other jar, make sure the knots are at the same length so that the lanterns will hang at the same height.

Step 6: Attach the saw tooth picture hanging bracket on the center top back of board.

Step 7: Measure, center, and inverted hand rail bracket 1 inch down from top front of board, make a pilot hole then screw the bracket in place with the smaller screw from package. *The pine wood in very soft so I only needed a screw driver to attach bracket.

Step 8: Place the boards in just the right spot, hang the lanterns from the bracket, the notch on the bracket is perfect to place to sling the twine over which will allow the jar to dangle and flicker.

The contents of the lanterns can be switched out for different occasions and holidays; the creepy, icky spider and webs can be changed to acorns for Thanksgiving, tiny ornaments for Christmas, salt crystals and snowflakes for winter, moss and tiny eggs for spring. or whatever you can dream up!

Capture a few, simple elements of the season, place some in the tiny lanterns and let them shine!

Appreciate the changes all around you and embrace the season!  

Maureen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-13T16:13:49+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Great job Maureen. I love them.

They’re really simple to make and look amazing. The best part is that you can change them out for every season or occasion.

Imagine having a Baby Shower and changing out the spiders for a pacifier, and a toy bottle along with some curly ribbon. The opportunities are endless.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!

Posted 2016-10-14T16:23:03+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Thank you very much Christine, I take that as a great compliment coming from a woodworking extraordinaire!

Yes changing the lantern theme is as easy as, unscrewing the jar! My granddaughter’s birthday party theme was “Love you to the moon and back”, so a last minute change from creepy spiders to moon rocks, (sea glass) and stars…. there was a lot of positive comments on the celestial lanterns! Now back to a scary or sweet Halloween theme!   So easy and so much fun!!! 

Thanks for the feed back,  Maureen

Posted 2016-10-18T13:30:13+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+