Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Answered

Empty space above my kitchen cabinets

What can I do with the empty space above my kitchen cabinets? For now, it's being used as storage for big kitchen appliances, crock pots, spaghetti pots, and other items I don't use everyday (cookie cutters/cake decorating items in plastic bins, dip trays, etc). I would like to cover it up or add long cabinets for storage? Or should my existing cabinets go all the way to the ceiling? Please help and thank you.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-26T17:33:56+0000  by Beach_Girl Beach_Girl

Hello again Beach_Girl!

I would definitely check out the storage organization options first.  Getting everything in its place will give you a strong sense of accomplishment. 

With everything out of sight, you may want to consider the above cabinet lighting, possibly recessed lighting, maybe adding a pendant or three (odd numbers are usually best) if space permits, and change out the light fixture over the sink (or adding one if there is not one already).   Different lighting will also add to the ambience of the room.

When a visitor (or yourself!) walks into the kitchen, it seems that you first see the sink area (“straight ahead”), then your eyes move to the left or right side.  If you decide to add moulding to the cabinets, add a complementary piece – or create an arch like the one you are standing under – over the sink windows to create a sense of symmetry.

Getting the space above the wall cabinets empty will allow your creative energy to blossom.  Adding several large items overhead will match the scale of the cabinets and also add a sense of balance and proportion that your kitchen may need.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-04-26T21:13:23+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hello Beach_Girl and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here. 

I understand your frustration for storing your “special” items overhead.  They may be convenient when you need them, but they do not help the overall kitchen appearance on a day-to-day basis. 

It might be easiest to add some distinctive crown moulding to add interest at the top of your existing cabinets.  It could be stained to match your existing cabinets for a finished look. 

ds-natural-and-warm.jpg     wlo_rs12.jpg

Do you have semi-custom or custom cabinets to which you could easily add a smaller set of matching cabinets?  It seems that you have a lot of space if you can fit a crock pot and spaghetti pots overhead.

drhcrs18.jpg     drhmrs03.jpg

Do you have specialty platters or pottery that could be displayed in the overhead space?  This may require moving the infrequently used items into the garage or pantry.

kitchen_planning.jpg     fea8352e-7ea4-41e5-9f7c-f1177dcd83e7_300.jpg

Would you be able to create a “shelf” above the space to display several of the appliances and crock pots?  Depending upon your décor, you may want to purchase or sew “covers” for the appliances to match fabrics in the room (as seen in the curtains or chair pads) and find another location for the other items.   Store the smaller items in specialty storage options within existing cabinet spaces.  The cookie cutters and cake decorating items can be placed in plastic bins and stored in a 2-tier cabinet organizer (installation hardware is included).

If you send a photo of your kitchen, we will be able to provide more options for you.

Best wishes on your project.

Posted 2013-04-26T19:02:46+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Thank you so much for your ideas!  It's hard to think when I get so frustrated looking at that space. I definately have enough cabinet space underneath to store those items.  It seems my kitchen is all cabinets!  I just need organization. ....I wonder if low lighting above the cabinets would be a good idea?? 

Thank you again!  I am inspired to take inventory of my items and the best way to store them.

Posted 2013-04-26T19:52:29+0000  by Beach_Girl

Sorry to say I do not have a pantry.

Here is my kitchen, facing it, standing under an arch:

Left side:  Fridge (cabinets above), small countertop (cabinets above/below) stove (cabinets above, but useless), small counter (cabinets above/drawers below).

Straight ahead: Sink area, counters on both sides (with 3 windows above sink) (cabinets below used for cleaning supplies).

Right side: Counters the whole length. Dishwasher underneath, cabinets above and below.

It's a U-shaped kitchen, separate from the dining room ....I have a freezer, about 2 ft tall, in the dining room! I know without a picture, you can still feel my frustration! :smileyfrustrated:

Posted 2013-04-26T20:07:46+0000  by Beach_Girl

Wonderful ideas!!!  There is a light above the sink, so that's covered.  But it is outdated.  I will be getting organized, first thing! Thank you!!!

Posted 2013-04-26T21:36:21+0000  by Beach_Girl

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+