Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Exterior Porch Wall

Hi,

I'm renovating my exterior screened-in porch.  I want to build a 3' wall, and then screen in the remaining upper portion.  I'd like to do wood paneling for both the exterior (clapboard) and interior (beadboard, or similar).  I have 3 questions:

1. What type of paneling should I use, considering both the exterior and interior sides of the wall will be exposed to the weather?
  2. What material should I mount to the studs (eg. CDX plywood, cement board) underneath the paneling?  Or should I just apply the wood paneling directly to the studs?
  3. Should I use a weather wrap underneath the paneling?

Thanks,
Andrew
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-05-16T02:45:56+0000  by Andy83 Andy83

For materials you can use anything that is suitable for exposure to the weather, assuming you're going to paint it to match the rest of the porch.  T1-11 paneling might offer a more visual appeal than just plain plywood (and stuff like CDX is pretty ugly with it's surface voids).  Depending on the styling of the rest of your home, some kind of tongue and groove boards would also offer visual appeal.  You might even consider a "frame and panel" design that slips inside of the existing opening that would serve as both the interior and exterior of the "wall."

I wouldn't bother with house wrap.
Posted 2017-05-16T08:14:31+0000  by Adam444

Here is one possible suggested Material list

- 1" PVC pipe for weep holes for drainage, in regular intervals around the perimeter. Cover openings with screening to block bugs.

- Sill seal

- Pressure treated 2x4 bottom plate and framing for rest of the wall

-T1-11 or Smart siding for exterior cladding.  ( there are many different exterior cladding- Siding you can choose.  Some may require 1/2" sheeting behind them, the T1-11 and smart-siding  does not.)

½-cdx plywood inside.  This should be raised above the concrete slab to

reduce moisture wicking.

-Vinyl bead board on the inside with vinyl chair rail and base.

- Veranda 3/4” x 5-1/2” x 8’ white PVC fascia board for top cap or a square    edge deck board.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2017-05-16T16:46:53+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+