Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Fabulous Faux Gourds and Pumpkins

The pleasing colors of the Autumn season and all the hues of fresh harvest produce should be spread and enjoyed wherever they can be displayed.  The traditional pumpkin on the doorstep, and a pot of mums, has evolved into entryways with elaborate displays of cornstalks, bales of straw, gourds, squashes, ornamental cabbage, kale and jewel toned peppers….it is a bounty of beauty!

That being said, having all of that perfectly delicious, esthetically pleasing, produce flanking your entry way is also going to invite some unwanted guests. Can you imagine being a squirrel, chipmunk or raccoon, foraging for food all summer, a summer that has being plagued by drought with limited tomatoes left to steal….and then to wake up and poke your head out of your burrow and find that a delicious harvest spread has been placed in the most accessible fashion on front porches, and doorsteps everywhere!!!

Watch out…. here come all your furry, foraging foe!  

I have fought that fight, squirrels are relentless opponents, it is a disgusting battle that always ends with slime, and pumpkin guts, across my front steps! My solution is, I do not tempt, or feed the animals anymore I do not want to find the pesky animals that feed on my front, seeking shelter underneath my front porch!

Home Depot has beautiful realistic gourds and carve-able faux pumpkins in the harvest decor section of the Halloween Décor display in the store, as well as on line.

I incorporated the lightweight, harvest accents into my planters and window boxes. The faux gourds and pumpkins are made of a durable foam material, I inserted small plant stakes into the bottom of the gourds and pumpkin so that they can be easily added to the planter at whatever height I want. These autumn accents add just the perfect touch to make a harvest planter uniquely yours.

Stop by your local Home Depot and pick up some faux gourds and carve-able pumpkins, create a beautiful harvest display that everyone will admire except, your local squirrels, chipmunks, and raccoons!

The harvest decorations on the inside of the house are all real, I love to have heaps of gourds, vases of fresh cut mums, and sugar pumpkins gracing tables and counters; the genuine ornaments of the season to appreciate and behold, far from the reaches of my furry foe!

Check out this link to create an easy harvest lantern! 

Happy Harvest, Maureen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-10-25T17:03:26+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Topic
Categories+