Sign In to join the community | Help
Our Workshops

February- Keepsake Box

Greetings everyone,

I'm here today to talk about February's Kids Workshop project that I'm sure the kids will :heart:

Since February is the month of  Valentine's Day, what better project could we make than a keepsake box with a heart right on top! Just like all Kids Workshops, it will take place on the first Saturday of the month, which will be Saturday February 4th 2012 from 9am-12pm. Kids from ages 5-12 can attend, and come early if you can in order for you to get situated and ready to create! In the video and image below, you can see the size of the box  and remember be as artistic as you can be to create a one-of-a-kind keepsake.

Kids Workshop Keepsake Box.JPG

Kids Workshop Keepsake Box Video.png

Happy building everyone, and we'll see you this Saturday!

aboveaveragejoe

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-30T22:12:56+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello, 

I just wanted to add that you can get creative with this months build if your children want something a little less Pink.  My son and I went to the workshop today and decided that we would make a treasure chest out of the keepsake box.  after putting the box together, we picked up the smallest gold (brass) hinges and lock Home Depot carries(in the gate and door hardware aisle) for less than $5.00.  We took the box home and painted it using acrylics we already had on hand.  If you don't have any, you can pick them up at any craft supply, or discount store for about $.97 a bottle.  My son painted the box and lid brown, and the heart a darker red.  I added some depth using black and a dry brush technique.  Then painted "support straps" on the box and a Jolly Roger on the heart.  My son decided that he wanted the heart to be glued to the bottom of the inside of the box because, "If anyone removes the treasure, they'll know they've messed with a pirate".  I had to do some alterations to the lock so that it would be functional.  It turned out really awesome and my son is super pleased with the results.  Happy Building! Piratebox1 piratebox2.jpg

Posted 2012-02-04T22:08:01+0000  by katstdenis

Hey katstdenis!

Welcome to the community, and thanks for sharing your sons great keepsake box!

As I stated on my post, the sky is the limit to create a one of a kind project, and you really nailed it in terms of execution of the idea. I don't know where to begin....the hinges, the coins, and putting the heart inside rather than on top...very very nice!

I'm glad your son now has a unique treasure chest that is his and his alone, as evidenced by the Jolly Roger :smileyhappy:

Hopefully more users like you and your son can share their great experience at the Kids Workshop. After finishing my keepsake box, I gave it to my girlfriend for an early birthday gift. So the next time I build one, it won't be as pink :smileywink:

Thanks again katstdenis for sharing this AWESOME result for your sons new treasure chest!

Cheers,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-02-04T22:37:31+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I'm trying to find out about the Commemorative pins for the classes taken at the kids workshops.  Is there a site I can go to to let the customer know where to purchase them.  Thanks

Posted 2012-02-06T14:42:59+0000  by LadyT52

Do you have to be Home Depot employee to be a Kids Workshop helper? I only ask because my husband might be interested in hosting kids clinics once in while...if it doesn't require any special training. Also, do the Kids Workshops require the purchase of materials in advance or are all materials provided during the time of the actual workshop? Any registration required or do they just show up?

Posted 2012-02-21T21:25:26+0000  by jnlmitchell

Hey LadyT52,

Thanks for your question, and welcome.

To my knowledge, there is no official website pertaining to purchasing the Kids Workshop pins.

While we do sell some of our Kids Workshop kits online, they unfortunately do not come with pins.

The surefire to obtain them is to come to your local Home Depot the first Saturday of the month. Not only will you and your child (age 5-12) will receive the pin, but they will also receive a certificate of achievement 'diploma', a Kids Workshop kid-sized apron, as well as the project itself.

If you really needing just the pins, using a search engine will give you lots of results so that you may purchase them from private sellers.

Good luck and I hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-02-25T15:41:04+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Good morning jnlmitchell,

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the community.

Kids Workshops are really one of the best things we do as a company that reaches out to all ages of our store's community.

When you say 'helper', each store is assigned a Home Depot associate, who is the official Kids Workshop Captain who supervises and ensures every participant is building their project correctly.

All parents or guardians who would like to assist the captain are free to do so. In terms of hosting one, I would advise to contact your local Home Depot store, and most definitely get in touch with the Kids Workshop Captain.

I've worked for 3 Home Depot stores and each one is a little different since..well...all kinds of people work for us, so it is up to the individual store to make that call.

In terms of materials, all are provided for no cost (thats right, totally free!)  and yes all materials and tools/accessories are included in the workshop. No registration is required but when you arrive be sure to sign in when you meet the Kids Workshop Captain.

Hope this helps you out, and let us know if you have any more questions,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-02-25T16:14:25+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

The Kid's Workshop staff members are so helpful and frienldy. My daughter LOVES attending the Kids'  Building Workshops. She is learning to use tools and has made many practical items that we use around the house. She is very creative so I always look forward to seeing how her will paint and decorate her project. In fact, when she gets a little bit older my husband and I plan to purchase her own set of tools.    

Posted 2012-02-27T14:59:22+0000  by goalie16

Hi there goalie16,

I'm glad to hear you both are enjoying the workshops!~  = )

Getting creative and learning to use your imagination to make things is such a great part about being a kid, it sounds like you've got quite the future renovator there...who knows, perhaps she'll be designing buildings and skyscrapers soon!

Hopefully you'll both be joining us for our March workshop. Though from the sounds of it, she's probably helping to run the workshops already = )

Posted 2012-03-01T15:21:58+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+